Tenon Cutting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

I'm in the middle of making a Mont Blanc style and I need to cut a tenon for a cap. Despite my collection of tools, nothing fits into the space at the edge of the bushing. I have a Sorby narrow cut off tool then can remove part of the wood- but it won't give me a flat at the bottom. Of course I can cut down partially, remove the bushing and put a smaller bushing on, and then use a wider flat tool.

However, that seems like a pain if I'm doing bunch of them. Is it worth getting a special tool such as the one in

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Finishing_Supplies_&_Tools.htm

or buying a tool and grinding it down?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Seriously, for the application you mention, you MAY have to sharpen the tool every ten pens or so---

Wear eye protection, if you are afraid the tool will break, but it shouldn't be used for more than a few seconds to make a tenon.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ok, thanks, heading down to sacrifice a screwdriver

Next trip to Harbor Freight, pick up half a dozen. You'll find uses for them, regularly!!!

I'm told they WILL turn screws, if you get desperate!! Don't know, never got THAT desperate!!:biggrin::biggrin:

toddlajoie

I'm told they WILL turn screws, if you get desperate!! Don't know, never got THAT desperate!!:biggrin::biggrin:

I've heard this rumor also, but I tried it once. I think the one I had was defective, cause I couldn't find where to install the battery, and there was no button to push that made it turn, and no selector for the direction... Plus, it seemed like you had to melt the handle off to change bits... VERY impractical..

Allenk

I made a 1/16" wide (well, almost 1/16") parting tool out of a piece of a meat cutter's bandsaw blade. It's perfect for cutting pen tenons.

rherrell

I have a small parting tool made from an old jigsaw blade. I drilled a hole in a dowel and epoxied it in and after it cured I shaped it on a bench grinder. Works great!

bradh

I use a narrow parting tool that is the width of the tenons, but I also use tools made from screw drivers. One tool I made by bending the shank of the screw driver slightly then sharpening the tip at an angle. This tool lets me get into the shoulder and undercut the shoulder slightly. This undercut makes sure the wood sits flush with the centre band, I hate it when I get a gap at the joint.

Top Bottom