Temperature and Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgerwin11

i there a temperature below which it is not advisable to to turn?

My workshop is my back porch. I don't mean for my own comfort, I know when I am too cold to work. My concern is effect of cold temps on the interaction of wood and metal. I do my gluing and assembly in the spare bedroom, but can't set up lathe, dp sander, band saw in there.

JimB

You might find some materials may crack due to sudden changes in temperature. Going from a warm house to the cold outside then heat again during drilling, turning or sanding. Since you do finishing inside I would wait until the material is back to room temperature.

On the other hand the temperature change probably isn't extreme since you would be to cold to do turning.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Doug... I turn in my garage in the summer and in the basement in the winter. As for too cold, thats hard to say. I can turn in the garage until well beyond the point of being comfortable in the late fall/early winter - as long as I'm doing acrylic or tru-stone. If I'm doing wood, I find the finish is the first thing that doesn't want to work right for me if its too cold.

Top Bottom