Techniques to get best edge where wood meets bushing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hagemierj

Getting better at turning pens, but still get sketchy edges where the wood meets the bushings (grain bends in the direction of rotation, or I get tiny chunks chipping out all around). I also notice that all of my pens get a small darker ring at the joint as well (I think that it is caused by the CA glue I use for finishing).

Interested in any tips or techniques to get that edge clean and sharp! I have learned about flap-sanding, but hope to stick with the standard turning tools for now.

Thanks for your insight!

J

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hagemierj

Sealing the ends with thin CA will help the grain bending and chipping out problems , particularly with softer woods . The darker ring can be caused by sanding onto the bushings - in effect you get steel dust on the wood .

The steel dust in the CA makes sense, they were new bushings last time it happened and that is VERY likely. Good one to remember!

J

robutacion

Getting better at turning pens, but still get sketchy edges where the wood meets the bushings (grain bends in the direction of rotation, or I get tiny chunks chipping out all around). I also notice that all of my pens get a small darker ring at the joint as well (I think that it is caused by the CA glue I use for finishing).

Interested in any tips or techniques to get that edge clean and sharp! I have learned about flap-sanding, but hope to stick with the standard turning tools for now.

Thanks for your insight!

J

I have been thinking on doing a Tutorial about this exact problem, and while may do it, one of the big problems is to get the bushing stuck to the CA, water getting in between the edge of the wood and bushings (when wet sanding), damages cause for forcing the bushes out and the CA finish peeling off, going white or crack, after the pen is done.

The first problem in no sealing the wood edges with thin CA before putting the bushing in. I pays to put a small amount of vaseline on the bushing to avoid to stich to CA that runs inside through the small end gaps.

In my view, is much better to do a slight bevel on the top barrel surface that being totally square that, unless perfect, it show the sharp and in most cases full of burs, edge either slightly under or slightly over, that is never a look so, how do you avoid that, you remove the bushings after the barrels are turned to size (taking into consideration the CA thickness of the coating you are going to perform.

Get a couple of teflon cones/bushes, put one on each side of the barrel and apply your CA coatings that way, this way, even it you haven't sealed the barrel ends before, the CA will go over each end and seal the wood anyway, protecting those ends for the wet sanding.

Of the the big differences is that, on each CA coat, you can put some pressure on the applicator on each end of the to barel's edge, forcing it to "roll" so slightly, a little easier if you gently touch those edges with some very fine grit sandpaper, too much and you spoil it, you only need basically to smooth the sharp edge and with each CA application the edge gets more pronounced but not overly...!

Is also very important that, with the polishing you work those edges right and when the barrel is done, you then can clean the ends of the barrels with the safe sanding disc and the pilot shaft to a\make sure the edges stays straight for a perfect fit.

If is done well, the pressed parts will just butt in perfectly. Remember, everything on moderation the rolled edge on the barrels only will look a better option, if done just right...!

I hope this helps you a little...!

Cheers
George

rherrell

Remove the bushings when you get close and sand down to final dimension with the blank between centers. You need a set of calipers for this but EVERY pen turner needs a set, you can't rely on the bushings to be the correct size.

StuartCovey

Sealing the ends with thin CA will help the grain bending and chipping out problems , particularly with softer woods . The darker ring can be caused by sanding onto the bushings - in effect you get steel dust on the wood .

The steel dust in the CA makes sense, they were new bushings last time it happened and that is VERY likely. Good one to remember!

J

That's true. This is why Iv'e started turning between centers and eliminated the bushings.

edstreet

Going out on a limb here and say I bet you are using a mandrel and the bushings are a very sloppy fit.

Second up is direction of your sanding. When sanding near the end if you are pushing from the blank to the bushing vs starting at the blank and moving towards the center.

Also worth note here ;) Put you some CA build up on top of the bushing before hand and save yourself loads of grief. Also if you want you can use a sharpie and color that CA buildup on the bushings to tell when you have broken thru you will see bare metal, which is bad.

beck3906

As to chipping the edges, you may want to use a small amount of CA during turning to stabilize the edges. The CA may also help in preventing metal from sanding the bushings getting into your blank.

Top Bottom