Technique for epoxying tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

Now that I have begun casting and using transparent resin blanks, I was wondering if anyone could share a bullet proof method for assuring the epoxy coverage on the tube was complete, full and invisible?

I can see "seams" (epoxy/no epoxy interface) around several parts of the tube, even after trying to assure complete epoxy coverage.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Tom,

Even if you have full coverage, you're likely to see the tube, bubbles, etc. The best recommendation is probably to paint the inside of the drilled hole.

-Barry

evanslmtd

Tom
I have to agree with Barry on this one. I've had very good results by painting the inside of the blanks, rather than just the tubes.

TomW

I'm now a firm believer in painting. I just did a test using a crystal clear blank. Epoxy swirls are impossible to avoid....

Thanks for pushing me to do the test!

Tom

bruce119

When using transparent blanks you have to paint the tube & drilled hole of the blank. An easy method is to just use spray paint. Spray the tube then flood the drilled hole in the blank. Wear a pair of gloves spray in the hole on one end then turn it around and spray the other end. That way you get good coverage let everything set and dry over night then use epoxy to glue the tube in. Don't use CA as it will probably soften the paint. Another thing to think about use the next size bigger drill for a lose fit the paint on the tube and in the hole takes up space.

Bruce

Top Bottom