Tease for the PITH 2012

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Before, assumptions are made, this thread is nothing more than a tease to my 2012 PITH partner (louisbry), based on a series of casting ideas that I have had for a little while but was waiting on my next 20lt drum of PR resin, before I could try anything.

I got it yesterday so I got such on it, straight away, having some samples turned today and a couple more batches on the go for tomorrow.

I have absolutely no need to be sourcing anything else than the boxes and boxes of "worthless wood" of many species, ready for casting but, I also like to improvise and try "things", casting does in fact allow for a great versatility of possible materials to be used and, if is there anything at all, that hasn't been "shoved" into resin and made into a pen before, there are "things" that I haven't saw or heard about so, I give them a go...!

Many of my "trials" endup being produced for sale, some never left the work-shop and others are simply discarded/disposed of.

I know that, my Pith partner likes nice woods on a pen however, if I decided to use any of the blanks I'm trying out with resin, he still gets the nice woods, in blanks that will put in the box for him to work on, himself...!

I would say that, in between the ones I have done (shown today) and some that I should have ready tomorrow, is a very good chance that one will be used on the 2012 Pith pen, with that said, there are no guarantee that I will do that, is all in the "air" at this moment however, I though that I would show what I'm making (tests), and the reasons why...!

After tomorrow, there will be no more tests for this drum I just received, as I've got lots of my normal Resifills to make, some on back-order so, every drop counts, well sort of...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

So louisbry, what do you think of it, so far...???

PS: If you think that, you know what they are made of, you're most welcome to let me know...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 003q.jpg
    003q.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 004q.jpg
    004q.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 006q.jpg
    006q.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 008q.jpg
    008q.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 002q.jpg
    002q.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 018q.jpg
    018q.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 020q.jpg
    020q.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 015q.jpg
    015q.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 013q.jpg
    013q.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 016q.jpg
    016q.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 021q.jpg
    021q.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 022q.jpg
    022q.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 026q.jpg
    026q.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 028q.jpg
    028q.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 222
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

More l;ike a steel pot scrubber. I have cast copper ones. They are very cool. I like the lsast ones. They look like dino bones.

robutacion

Some more samples/tests...!

Hi again,

Yes, there are 2 types of stainless steal kitchen scrubbers in these, and also 2 other types of synthetic kitchen scrubbers, one in packs of 5 thin pads of different colours and the other a black scrubber 1" thick, the last one is made from the pod seeds from a Australian Kurrajong tree...!

The samples (testes) I'm showing today are all made from the better pattern stainless steal scrubber (second lot from yesterday) and from the black synthetic scrubbers, using various resin colours on both materials.

Interestingly, all the samples (tests) were turned on my wood lathe (don't have a metal lathe) and while I can say that a carbide tipped cutter handles the stainless steal mesh better, I deliberately done the first lot using normal cutting tools and yes, they can be used, it will blunt fast, I reckon a 2 to 3 x re-sharpening goes, will get a pen done (2 barrels)...!

The carbide cutters don't have any problems handling them, I only suggest, double/triple attention to eye protection, as the stainless shavings are extremely sharp and leave the cutter at high speed...!

The Flap-Disc system, goes through them like a sharp knife in hot butter the ones that did surprised me considerably, were the blanks that were made using that synthetic black kitchen scrubber that, for some reason, react in a strange way with the PR resin, making the whole blank mass a hard and extremely strong material that was harder to work with than the stainless steal blanks.

From what I could see, whatever those black scrubbers are made of, when soaked with the PR, transforms into a solid, very dense but, not brittle material. I believe, they would be great candidates to make kit-less pens and all the style pens most guys are doing now where "threads" can be a big problem with some acrylic materials.

And again, I did not made/cut any threads on any of these to be 100% sure but, from what I know of suitable/better materials for thread making, particularly fine threads, these at this point, seem most suitable to a probability estimation of 98%...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

All blanks were finished with 2 thin and 2 medium CA coats, cut down with wet & dry sandpaper from 600 to 2.500 grits and quickly rubbed with Novus compound...!

Now, I have to decide which ones I like the most, if I want to do some more of some of them and if I'm going to use one of them on "louisbry" Pith pen and which one...??? or maybe not...! not yet decided.

What do you think...???

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 005p.jpg
    005p.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 010p.jpg
    010p.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 008p.jpg
    008p.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 007p.jpg
    007p.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 002p.jpg
    002p.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 011p.jpg
    011p.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 013p.jpg
    013p.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 149
  • 014p.jpg
    014p.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 016p.jpg
    016p.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 018p.jpg
    018p.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 020p.jpg
    020p.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 022p.jpg
    022p.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 024p.jpg
    024p.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 210

philb

Like the stainless steel first pic, and the seed pods look stunning!

Really like the coloured ones too, Especially the blue/black, purple/steel and black and white!

Are these all PR? Can see the pod one being popular! Did you CA finish?

PHIL

Russknan

You never cease to amaze me, George! But the stainless in clear, and the purple (4th pic in the last batch) have caused me to have a serious case of the "I wants"! Russ

robutacion

A little hot/naughty subject, no kids, please...:)

I'm a little hung up on this part. I hope those aren't being cast!

Larry

Ouch Larry, that would hurt...!:eek::redface:

In fact, there has been "testes/testicles" that I have worked on in the pass, apart from my own, sort of speak. Those were the kangaroo ball bags, used to make key-rings and other stuff out of...!:eek::biggrin: They are still being "cut" and processed for that same purpose, particularly to overseas people (ladies, I would say...!) that simple love to be able to play with them in their hands....! yes... they are very nice and soft to touch after tanned properly...!

As you see, spelling/grammatical mistakes can be of some use...!:wink::biggrin:

Disclaimer: No offence and/or insinuations of animal cruelty were intended in the mentioning of the above text, the contents are pure and simply true and correct...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

You never cease to amaze me, George! But the stainless in clear, and the purple (4th pic in the last batch) have caused me to have a serious case of the "I wants"! Russ

G'day Russ,

I hope that your above "marked" statement, is of a positive nature as I seem to amaze a lot of people in all possible ways...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

On the other hand, someone has to come up with these things and I like to believe, I can make up a few...!

The truth shall be said, most of my "tests" are made based on the principal of, "what would happen if I ...?????":rolleyes::biggrin:

The excitement of waiting for the results is the most rewarding aspect of it all, I deliberately do the resin mixes in the afternoon/evening so that I have a good reason to get up in the morning in anticipation...!

Different things to different people huh...??? I like it like it like that...!

PS: You "may" be lucky to acquire some, if I decided to make a few "extra"...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Another stainless steel scrubbing pad blank...!

G'day peoples,

This has nothing to do with the 2012 PITH tease, or anything else apart from the fact that, this thread is where I shown all the blanks/sample I made from all those kitchen scrubbing pots pads that I had found at the time however, I did found another different stainless steel scrubbing pad last week, that doesn't allow for full size blanks but only for a little over 3" length.

This time, these pads are coated with some industrial grade detergent that comes active when the pad in wetted in water and scrubbing the dirt pot base you go...!:wink:

They have an interesting construction pattern and the detergent shows silver in colour so, if you don't know that is concentrated detergent, you would thing that is all part of the stainless steel mesh type, like coarse steel wool, sort of...!

I don't think that colouring the resin is the way but I thing that, they would look good with a painted tube or reverse painting. Ideal for single barrel pens but nothing stops anyone, including me to use 2 shorts for a 2 barrel pen as the blanks are all the same inside...!

What do you reckon...???

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 010 (2).JPG
    010 (2).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 013 (2).JPG
    013 (2).JPG