Tear out solutions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jusaf

I've been making slimlines and comfort pens. I am getting much better at them but I still get some tear out at the edges. What can I do to prevent this? My tools are sharp. The tear out isn't really bad but it isn't what I would like my pens to look like if I am going to sell them.

How is milo for pens? I've got a chance to get some milo branches that range in size from 1 to 3 inches. Thought they might make good pens.

Thanks for the help.

Jim in Hawaii

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mac

After milling the blank ends put CA on them ,let dry then mill the CA off . The CA fills any voids left by milling ,as some mills leave ends rough , causing catches thus causing tearout. I also use( thin )CA inside of my blanks before I glue tubes in. This glues any loose wood or sawdust Inside of blank for a better bond when I glue the tube in with med CA. My tearouts are very few and I sometimes use very spalted rotten wood.
Also turn from the center working towards the sides. I turn on the high end on lathe speed this also helps.

jusaf

Don't have a disc sander. Just bought a drill press and band saw. Combine those with the lathe, table saw, router w/table, jig saw, two drills, buffing wheels for the lathe, buffing ball for the drill, and all of the wood and other supplies, I don't see me getting a disc sander in the near future. Maybe if I make a bunch of pens and sell them. I have sold two so far. Currently making a shadow box for a close friend that is about to retire after 20 years in the military. We joined 3 days apart. Can't believe how fast time is going by.

Jim

johncrane

Yes Jim!time waits for no one! to make your own pen mill take a 7mm tube and a blank say 2inches, drill, glue,mill,and turn down to about 3/4inch then get a cheap punch set, then take a sheet of sand paper say 180 grit punch a 7mm hole into the sand paper then glue it to the blank both ends, then trim off around the blank, now with this tool you can mill on the pen mandrel on the lathe or off the lathe.

I have found that I have fewer tear outs if I cut toward the wood blank instead of toward the bushings. Thus on the left end, I'm cutting left to right and on the right end, I'm cutting right to left.

JimB

There is a tutorial in the library on how to sharpen your pen mill. It is very easy to do and takes less than a minute.

Also, a few days ago, I posted pictures of my home made jig that goes on the lathe and I use for squaring blanks and cleaning up the ends. It is easy to make and you probably already have almost everything you need. It will do the same thing the disc sander will do. You can find the post by going to FORUMS at the top of the page and then going to SHOPS, TOOLS etc.

ngeb528

If I have small tearouts at the ends, I take some of the turning dust and pack it in the void, then flood it with thin CA and use accelerator. I loosen the nut on the mandrel and pull the blank away from the bushing before I use the CA so it doesn't get stuck to the bushing.

This works if the voids are fairly small.

Top Bottom