Teak?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

My son just brought over 2 long thick boards that are Teak and one Purpleheart. They were used on the set of Pirates of the Carribean movie by his father-in-law. How is teak to turn? The grain is wonderful. The wood is heavy and I know it has some oils in it. When I turn it I will probably just use MM and possibly some BLO. But not CA. What do you people think?

Lynn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Both will turn well and take almost any finish you want. They probably oiled the teak for the movie but you will turn that away. If you're still concerned, wipe the blank with rubbing alcohol before finishing.

Gary

As Lou said, they both turn well. If you don't want a glossy finish, you might consider spraying it with a satin lacquer or poly.

KKingery

I'm working on several sets of Teak / Red Oak laminations, and also just finished a Teak slimline for an order. Teak turns like butter. Use a light approach to prevent gouging too deep. It sands beautifully, and finishes very well. I've used both wax finish, and also Poly finish.

Fleabit

I have turned a few teak pens and teak is sweet to work with. Turns great, sands easily and holds a good lacquer finish. My first lamination pen was Teak and Mahogany (in my photo album). You will love working with it.

ilikewood

The first pen I ever turned was in teak...a cigar pen. I carry it everywhere and it stays in my pocket. It has taken some serious abuse over the years and nearly all the gold finish has worn off along with the finish on the wood. You know, the wood is still shiny and pretty. Teak is just a fantastic and durable wood that stays good looking not matter what you do to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom