teaching questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

Hey.

I was asked this past weekend if i can teach woodturning lessons to a 11 year old kid. so here are my questions if anyone knows

1) how much to charge per hour

2) i know about liability and insurance, but the question is will a liability form protect me to what degree if something happens

I can always use the extra income, so if anyone has done this before, please let me know. thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Where you teach would make a difference.

At YOUR home, you have WAY TOO MUCH exposure to make me happy. It's a business, your homeowners probably will not cover you.

If they have the equipment and you can teach at THEIR shop MUCH better.

Just my opinions - check with a pro before you make out a contract. Every state will vary some.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
More of a question to those who know than an answer.
If a person belonged to the AAW would they have liability coverage for this type of activity or would they have to belong to a local chapter and do the teaching as part of a local chapter in order to be covered?

We use liability forms in our church activities but they are generally only worth the paper they are written on but they might discourage someone from bringing suit. Depends on the person.

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
We have been teaching woodworking and turning for a couple of years and our homeowners covers us, but we don't charge for it. That may make a difference. We also don't work with them that young though. I would talk to whoever holds your homeowners policy or whatever type of insurance you carry and get an opinion from them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Neil,

Be VERY careful. Because I sell pens, it is a business. My insurance carrier has already informed me that my tools (Lathe, power saws, sharpeners, drill press) WOULD be covered if I did NOT sell pens, but are NOT covered because I am in BUSINESS (selling pens). IF I had my son (33 not living at home) in the basement giving him lessons, I don't know WHAT they would say. Clearly I would not charge him, but I do give lessons at WoodCraft, so I am "in that business".

Confusing- talk to a pro!!! (Insurance pro)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Why not tell them to take the insurance? You don't charge them a penny for the lessons, but sell them the practice blanks and kits at a price that covers your time?
I wouldn't do it on my own property either, I would insist that they supply the venue and tools.

The UK hasn't quite caught up with you guys and law suits, but it's getting there.

OKLAHOMAN

Each state has different insurance laws. Being as I sell pens that are made behind my home in a building my agent advised me to get a business rider on my homeowners insurance giving me full coverage on my equipment and $100,000 liability coverage if someone hurts themself by falling, tripping, or some other cause not associated with power equipment. So I would be careful about teaching an 11 year old at your shop untill you speak with a insurance pro.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Neil,

Be VERY careful. Because I sell pens, it is a business. My insurance carrier has already informed me that my tools (Lathe, power saws, sharpeners, drill press) WOULD be covered if I did NOT sell pens, but are NOT covered because I am in BUSINESS (selling pens). IF I had my son (33 not living at home) in the basement giving him lessons, I don't know WHAT they would say. Clearly I would not charge him, but I do give lessons at WoodCraft, so I am "in that business".

Confusing- talk to a pro!!! (Insurance pro)
Ed, everything I do is done with a lawyer and my insurance agent in on the deal. I will not lose my home because someone got a smashed finger, I worked way too hard to get it. I do own a business that sells pens, but that business is at a different address than my home so according to them, I am totally legal and in the clear. They know what I do and have advised me as to what not to do. I also carry a decent sized business policy due to the fact that we own a couple of small businesses and they are set up as an LLC. DBA.. Thank you though.

thewishman

Keven, check with your local woodworking stores for their class prices to get a starting point. You'd be teaching one-on-one so the price should be higher, traveling to the student - another add. Using student's tools - a small discount, maybe.

Our local Woodcraft charges $35 for a 3 hour pen course, 4 students and materials included (24k slim and plain blank.) Outside instructor makes maybe 1/2 so about $70, 70/3 = $23+ per hour. That would be my starting point.

Make sure to charge enough that you are happy to do the instruction. :)

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I have been teaching for some time

I have taught people from 7 years old to 79 years old how to turn pens. I have taught at the local Rockler store and in my shop. I have gone to other folks' shops, and it has all been good. As for price, I charge $50 for a finished pen project regardless of the kit chosen (unless it's one of the $30+ kits) or the time involved and I teach the CA glue finish so the pen, when done, could be sold for $35+. I have had only satisfied customers and I have had a blast doing it. I really don't do it for the money; I love teaching the process. As for the liability, I make sure all is done in a safe manner and I am at the turners elbow at all times. I also make sure that the student has such a good time that all they leave with is a finished pen and a big smile on their face. Maybe I'm naive but for not all we do should be for money nor should enjoyment be avoided because of fear. JMO

LanceD

30.00 an hour with a minimum of three hours would be a good starting figure. I taught rodbuilding classes for a few years and that was my fee. I also taught classes where I furnished the equipment and everything needed to build their rod. Once the class was over, usually a two day class they built their rod and kept the equipment. The price of that class was 375.00 for two three hour classes.

I always got residual sales from them by them purchasing blanks, components, thread and glue.

low_48

From what I am told about the AAW insurance, to be covered, the teaching has to be an activity of your club (such as a mentoring program). I'm pretty sure that the exchange of money voids the insurance. A donation to your club might be an acceptable payment.

scroller99

On another topic I would be very careful of being with a child any child in an enclosed enviroment without a witness. You may see a catch about to happen and push the kid out of the way, say that you touched him and it could ruin your whole livelyhood. I know it is a bitter pill to swallow in these days and times but it is out there. I have to make sure that areas in the school that a teacher can have a student present has a window in the door for this reason. crazy days we live in, good luck Howard

DurocShark

Howard's post is sad, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the OP.

:(

You could maybe pitch it to the parents as, "That way you will see what I'm teaching and may be able to help if he has a question down the road."

MikeInMo

I have to echo Howard's point and Don't sentiment. I have to be very careful as a Cub Scout leader and always have another adult with me. I am never the only adult with kids that aren't mine. Be sure one of the kid's parents are there when you teach.

Top Bottom