Teacher's Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

Does anyone happen to know the length of the tubes for the Teacher's Pen? My daughter would like to make some teacher's pens for her teachers (who woulda thought!), and it has come down to me to get the supplies. We will probably make half a dozen or so, and will be using all the same blank material for each pen. I'm trying to figure out how many "black" and "red" segments I can get out of a standard-size blank. Thanks all! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Does anyone happen to know the length of the tubes for the Teacher's Pen? My daughter would like to make some teacher's pens for her teachers (who woulda thought!), and it has come down to me to get the supplies. We will probably make half a dozen or so, and will be using all the same blank material for each pen. I'm trying to figure out how many "black" and "red" segments I can get out of a standard-size blank. Thanks all! :)

The pen on my desk is 7/8" each side. (In my profession, we refer to them as "accountant's" pens.):biggrin:

With kerfs, each of the short ends uses about an 1" of material. I usually get 5 of each out of a standard blank.

I have also made all three sections of the same material and segmented a 1/8" stripe of bloodwood and ebony for the colors.

I have also thought about using the same wood and replacing the centerbands with the color. I have not got around to trying that one yet.

CabinetMaker

I am in the process of making 4 teachers pens for my daughters, or at least I thought I was. I showed my daughters how to do it and now they do it by themselves. Now I have to sign up for time on my own lathe! I wouldn't trade it though. I enjoy the time with them and its a hobby that they can grow with.

Top Bottom