"teacher's pen" kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

I just finished making one of these. I had to trim some length off of both refill tubes to be able to press the transmission in without the tip sticking out in the fully retracted position. (about 1/4") I think I would have known if I had gotten THAT carried away with the pen mill. Has anyone else had this problem?

Oh.. and here's a picture of it. This was my first time with synthetic material (the acrylic for the ends) or SpectraPly (the center section). It wasn't all that bad.

I know the picture is horrible... I have read the tutorial on photographing pens and am going shopping for photo equipment on Wednesday...

Attachments

• IMG_20121103_100331.jpg
    IMG_20121103_100331.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

Hmm... maybe I really did get that carried away with the mill. It was the first time using the carbide cutter head. I thought I took very small cuts and don't remember seeing any brass shaving coming off. Then again, it was midnight last night when I trimmed those down. Oh well, it turned out fairly nice. I would never sell it to anyone knowing the refills will requiring trimming, but my wife can have it as I won't mind the trimming when it is refill time.

NotURMailman

Oh, and... I thought the item description on CSUSA said it wrote in blue and red (hence the pen colors), but it writes in red and black. I guess I'll have to check Office Depot for blue ink refills in this style.

EDIT: I just looked, it does say red and black... DOH!

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
.... i did find that i had to creep up on the fit when i was pressing in the transmissions, but didn't have to trim anything
Ditto.
I always play it safe on any 7mm and sneak up on the depth when pressing the transmission in. That's easier than removing it and reseating.

NotURMailman

It wasn't depth. The refill was actually flush with the tip when I pushed the transmission in by hand. I always do the first to get a guesstimate of press depth. I mean just barely in, I pulled it back out with my fingers. And that was with the mechanism in the fully retracted position.

Wingdoctor

Some of the refill adapters, the chrome threaded part that goes on the end of the refill, are a little tight. You have to push hard on the refill to get the refill into the adapter fully. The difference between fully seated and partially seated is about a 1/4".

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is another case (similar to the "sierra", but nowhere near as popular) where several manufacturers use the same name. So, YOUR teacher's pen can be very different from someone else's teacher's pen!!

NotURMailman

Some of the refill adapters, the chrome threaded part that goes on the end of the refill, are a little tight. You have to push hard on the refill to get the refill into the adapter fully. The difference between fully seated and partially seated is about a 1/4".

I hope that wasn't it since I already cut the refill down.

On second thought, I hope that was it. That would mean they don't need to be cut down in the future...

NotURMailman

I like the color choice. Not too sure about the bar bell look though.

Thanks! I picked the colors to go with the inks, and then I had to go to Office Depot to get blue ink... LOL!

I think next time I'll add a little shape to the center section and use a little less on the end pieces. It's comfortable in your hand, but it does look a little off.

Top Bottom