Teachers pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

I made a teachers pen for one of the wifes of someone I work with. Bought the kit from Woodcraft. When I went to install the ink filler, the transmission would not work. After removing it it worked fine. I then noticed the nib hole was to small for the ink filler. I had to redrill the hole and every thing worked fine. Anyone else have that problem? Checked fillers with other nibs and the holes were to small also. By the way I'm not impressed with this kit.

Jack

S

spiritwoodturner

It's a super-cheap kit, from a mostly super-cheap supplier, with a few exceptions. I get a few things from PennState, but not much. Note the extremely lame casing pen kit they're selling right now...

Obviously, I'm not their #1 fan.

Dale

P.S. I'm assuming this is a Penn State distributed kit, because last I knew, that's what Woodcraft sold. If it's not, what I said about PennState still stands, for me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

mick

Jack although it's a 7mm kit the nib of the teachers pen has a larger hole than a normal slimline. I found this out early on when I tried to substitute some Black Ti parts to make a Teachers pen with a "different" plating. Is it possible that the kit had the wrong nib or they were somehow mixed up with a regular slimline nib, which would be too small? I've made probably 50 of these kits and never had that particular problem. Other than trying to swap the nibs out, the only problem I've ever had with the kit is the small screw fitting the refills go in are sometimes slightly too big for the refills. A small pair of needle-nose pliers and a slight squeeze takes care of that.

Dale I've got to respectfully disagree with you about the teachers pens being cheap. Although they only come in 24k gold and chrome I've found them to be well made and all the transmissions have operated smoothly. except for the above mentioned screw fitting problem, which is a very minor problem I ...and obviously my customer seem to like them.

Top Bottom