TBC and your tool rest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I have tried turning between centers on my Delta 46-460 lathe but seem to migrate back to using the mandrel because I find my tool rest is too long to get close enough to the work to keep the tools from bouncing and causing chatter and chip outs.
I am using the stock tool rest that came with the lathe (6") and am wondering, all those that turn between centers, did you modify the tool rest you got with your lathe or did you purchase/build your own shorter tool rest to get in between the lathe head collar and the live center head? I measured the gap and the maximum I can get in that gap is 4", 3" would be ideal.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I made one of my own. I took about a 1" bolt, drilled and taped a hole in the unthreaded shoulder and then cut it to the length I wanted.

Cmiles1985

I spent a good chunk of change with Rick last year. I am more than olease with his work! Going from a stock took rest to one of his is like going from chopped sirloin to beef tenderloin!

Mortalis

I purchased a 4" tool rest through Amazon before you guys suggested someone from within the community. It was the shortest I could find without paying really big bucks.
I anticipate the 4" wont be quite small enough for anything other than slimlines and comforts and the single barrel kits. I will check into rherrel.

Thanks

SteveG

You can always take a hacksaw to whatever tool rest you have, and make it shorter, then dress the ends with a file to make it pretty and user-friendly. (Somehow it just does not work to make it longer!:rolleyes:)I agree with the rherrel recommendations...I had gotten a short one, and discovered I wanted it just a bit shorter!

Mr Vic

You can always take a hacksaw to whatever tool rest you have, and make it shorter, then dress the ends with a file to make it pretty and user-friendly. (Somehow it just does not work to make it longer!:rolleyes:)I agree with the rherrel recommendations...I had gotten a short one, and discovered I wanted it just a bit shorter!

I also bought a second stock tool rest for my 1014vs. A cut of blade made short work of it as I trimmed the ends. It's now slightly over 2 1/2" and tucks up nicely.

Last edited:

TonyL

+1,000 on Rick's tool rests (and all of his other goods). No reason to return to a mandrel...at least, no reason that I can think of.

Top Bottom