TBC Tutorials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

charliekap

I did a search (I think) on tutorials on "Turning Between Centers" . I have turned a few pens with a mandral but wanted to try TBC. I understand you can TBC with bushings and without (using a micrometer). Any assistance on finding a video on TBC's would be appreciated.

Charlie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I did a tutorial a few years back and it now resides in the IAP library, it might answer some questions you might have....... http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/turningbetweencenters.pdf

I used bushings for some steps and no bushings for others, there are no hard and fast rules, just whatever you are comfortable with.

There was also a thread I started on the same subject whih has some interesting discussion.......... http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/turning-between-centers-another-way-54760/

The library has articles grouped by type, the tutorial "turning between centers' is under "Techniques" along with many other informative articles and are listed alphabetically.

Last edited:

jd99

Like said above, I use TBC bushings (I make my own on the metal lathe) for some steps and not for others.
I turn the pens with the bushings, then I take the bushing off to finish sand, wet sand and polish.

Stopped using the mandrel after my third pen and never looked back. I also found out TBC is quicker you can take a little more aggressive cuts as there is no flexing on TBC as the mandrel does.

I use my mandrel as a paper weight. :wink:

alamocdc

It;s really easy, Charlie. And once you try it, you probably won't go back to a mandrel unless you really have to. I didn't. I only use a mandrel for finishing and polishing now (except for my B mandrel stuff, but only because I don't have TBC bushings for those yet). Otherwise, for all but slims, I use stock bushings (because I already have them and they work).

Carl Fisher

I guess I'll be the one to ask. Why use dedicated TBC bushings?

I chuck up my standard bushings between centers with no problems. They spin fine, they are concentric, and it just works. I've been doing it that way for the past 9 months or so and other than slims I can't find anything wrong with the method.

I've also chucked the blank right between centers with no bushings (turn by caliper) and finishing with no issues.

So for those of you who use dedicated TBC bushings, I'd like to find out why?

Steve Busey

I guess I'll be the one to ask. Why use dedicated TBC bushings?

The mandrel bushings I have are much softer than the TBC bushings I get from johhnycnc, so I'm getting more "mileage" out of the TBC sets. I've also had more "out-of-round" problems with the regular bushings than the TBC. YMMV....

Top Bottom