TBC Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebfan04

I've got a problem. I want to TBC and I think I need a long live center. See photo--I built a DC housing around my work area, and with the tail stock all the way in and dead center on I still have to much distance to cross with my live center and TBC bushings. I prob need another 2-3 inches to span the gap. By getting a long live center is this going to defeat the non-mandrel turning? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2011-02-04 12.32.40.jpg
    2011-02-04 12.32.40.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Roger,

I really like your dusty system but I have a solution that I use on my lathe, it meant I had to make a deeper tool rest but that was a fortunate happenstance the around 45 degrees slope takes a lot of holding effort away from my hands as it suits me perfectly.

Pics show what I did, ran the removal tube through the bed rails on my Vicmarc VL100..

Trust this will help you.

Regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Answer to colly wobbles 1326x743.jpg
    Answer to colly wobbles 1326x743.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Answer to colly wobbles 1326x743-1.jpg
    Answer to colly wobbles 1326x743-1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 179

AceMrFixIt

I don't TBC, but

Here is what I made to hold my DC. Hope it helps. I put lead on the base to hold it in place. Works great.

Attachments

• dustcollector 003.jpg
    dustcollector 003.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 168

Fred

All of these are great ideas as the majority of the dust is being collected AT THE SOURCE and not afterward by vacuuming up the lathe, floor, etc.

I have recently installed the Oneida Dust Deputy D.I.Y. unit on a 30 gallon drum that is in between my Rigid Shop Vac and the LocLine that reaches to my tool rest. Using a length of around 36" of LocLine hose assembly allows me to collect right at the tip of my cutting tool. What little is missed is sucked up by the 4" collector at the back of the lathe.

BTW, the Dust Deputy is actually catching 99.5% of everything and my Rigid filter is almost spotless after approximately 40+ hours of turning. The big drum is filling up nicely and is surely a lot easier to empty one time than the Rigid getting torn down ten times in the same period of time. Best $70 I have spent on improvements to my DC systems and for my health. :biggrin:

Last edited:

rebfan04

Possible solution

Besides making a new box. I found this MT2 extender, anybody ever used this? What do U think?

Attachments

• 2mt-extension_l.jpg
    2mt-extension_l.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 81

Texatdurango

Besides making a new box. I found this MT2 extender, anybody ever used this? What do U think?

I don't like the idea. I have an extender but never use it anymore because I think it just adds more slop to the setup.

I agree with others who say just modify the dust collector port. I could never have a port like that because I use the lathe for more things than just pens and the width would be way too confining if say I wanted to turn a candlestick holder and still have the port pick up the dust.

JerrySambrook

Roger,
Contrary to some people opinions, because WE are the tool carriage, and not a mechanical means of moving our tools, there is NOTHING wrong with using an extender.
IF you were doing this on a carriage based lathe, then I would absolutely agree that there MIGHT be some slop issues.

However, since WE move the tools with our bodies, then WE have a way to compensate for something that MIGHT be offset.

when turning between centers, if you go from start to finish in ONE SETUP, then you DO NOT have the problems that most people think you might have.

Now, if there is a problem with some of the pieces you are using, such as a illfitting taper, or bad bearings in either the head, or tailstock, or excess wear in some areas, then you do have problems.

But to re-iterate, you will have no problems using an extender.

rebfan04

Box

Think ill make a centers box after i try the extender, if it doesnt work
Thanks Guys

Last edited:
Top Bottom