TBC Convert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I recently purchased a 60 degree live center and dead center and have started turning between centers. I have to say, I'm converted! I made this move because I wanted to try some new kits without purchasing bushings, also because I was having a hard time with the edges of the blanks that butt up against the the bushings.

TBC is allowing me to get a better shape on my blanks because I don't have to worry about hitting the bushings. Also, I love the ease of being able to rotate a blank, or put a new one in, without messing with a mandrel. I was already using calipers to measure as I go, so this really hasn't added much time either. In fact, it has saved time because now I square them after turning, which takes much less time.

I do need to buy a smaller tool rest now, and I'm considering buying some TBC adapter bushings to help me get close before going straight TBC. But again, overall I'm a big fan.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yes, it is much more simple, IMO. The more items used in turning, the more chances for things to go wrong.

Congratulations on your discovery.

magpens

Les,

All you need to do is make some measurements off a kit that you have.

Take a Sierra for starters.

But ..... this thread is about avoiding the bushings completely, and that is the best course to take.

If you use bushings at all ... even the so-called TBC bushings ... you will miss out on the "Nirvana" experience.

keithbyrd

I like TBC but have had some difficulty flaring the end of the tube when tightening enough so the blank doesn't slip when turning. It hasn't caused a problem in assembly but I back off a tad to keep from causing damage. Is this a common issue?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I like TBC but have had some difficulty flaring the end of the tube when tightening enough so the blank doesn't slip when turning. It hasn't caused a problem in assembly but I back off a tad to keep from causing damage. Is this a common issue?

Flaring - Yes it does happen; I do use bushings to get my blanks rounded and then take them off.

Some people round their blanks over or knock off the edges before turning, and this helps eliminate the flaring.

thewishman

Brian makes great bushings, they are very accurate. He can even make custom sizes. Great to deal with and quick service.

No, I do not have a financial interest in his business. I was so pleased with some custom bushings that I want him to keep on making bushings far into the future.:)

TBC is the only way! I use Mr Lee's method and it has worked wonderfully. I also use his method for a CA finish which can be found with a search. Combining his two methods have allowed me to get very precise barrel diameters. If imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery, then it's safe to say he's been well flattered!

RogerC

When I first started turning pens, the guy who mentored me advocated TBC for all the reasons that have been mentioned here already, so it's all I've ever done. I like the flexibility and control.

Top Bottom