TBC Bushings Set Up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I finally got a pic of my set up to turn slim line pens with one set of TBC Bushings. This is my own way and it may not be the best way, but it works for me. I have turned many slim line pens this way. The short mandrel rod is cut to 3 and 5/16 inches long, it is cut to this length for this particular set of bushings. The center bushing is a standard slimline short bushing. The other photo shows both blanks ready to put on the lathe and turn. As you can see the way I mark my blanks is so that when I am preparing several blanks at one time, I can always match the lower(nib end) blank with the upper(clip end) blank.

Attachments

• 0816181559_resized.jpg
    0816181559_resized.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 0816181603_resized.jpg
    0816181603_resized.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

The idea is mine, I wanted to be able to turn both barrels of a slimline pen with one set of TBC bushings. This eliminates the use of a mandrel and flexing that goes along with using one over time. The TBC bushings I bought off here a while back.

mecompco

It wouldn't be that hard to make a double-ended bushing to squeeze between the blanks with a TBC bushing on each end (hmmm....which I already have). I'd also make one in the Comfort size. How sweet would that be?!

keithlong

That my friend is also a good idea, if you have the tools to make em. I could also see this as a work in progress for several kits that require 2 barrels.

mecompco

That my friend is also a good idea, if you have the tools to make em. I could also see this as a work in progress for several kits that require 2 barrels.

I have made bushings in the past, but my old late 40's vintage metal lathe makes it extremely challenging to do so accurately due to much of it's precision having been lost throughout the years. If I made more Slims and Comforts, it would be worth having them made. For the few I do, turning one barrel at a time isn't too horrible.

Dale Allen

This is a great idea and worthy of continued support. The center rod would need to be a close fit in the tube to avoid any bowing in the assembly. However, because the rod goes inside most of the tube, it would not need to be real critical.
BTW, one way I used to mark the blanks was to put a mark with a sharpie inside the tube ends that are the center. It was rare that I could not see the mark when finished turning because the TBC bushings typically did not rotate and remove the mark.

The idea of a double ended TBC bushing for the middle would possibly cause the assembly to bow when pressure is applied to the blank. After all, if the bushing can be inserted and removed, which it has to, there is some measure of difference between that OD and the tube ID. Even if it is very small it is still there.

TBCbushings

I think it would be more "slop" in the center rather than using just TBC on the ends. If there is .002 worth of play in the tube for one side and the other is .002 in the other direction then you will have a total of .004 difference. If it is machined properly then should not be a problem.

Top Bottom