TBC bushings question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neededwill

I just received a set of 7mm steel bushings to use with my dead and live center. I can slip the bushings into a 7mm tube just fine. But it will not go into a tube that has been glued inti a blank. The blank has been squared and is ready to turn.

So am I missing a step? I also sent a message to the maker of them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

If you over mill the blank, the tube will turn toward the center slightly. This WILL prevent your TBC bushings from going into the tube. DAMHIKT.

Use a reamer or chamfer tool to clean out the burr.....

Silverado

Are you squaring your blanks with a pen mill? If so it could be creating a small burr on the edge of the tube.I have also had this happen when squaring blank on a Disc sander.

Silverado

If you have a round chainsaw file it will work until you get a Reamer. You can also use the tang end of a mid. sized file to ream the tube out.

Jamesomac

Bushings

I roll a bit of 100 grit sandpaper onto a small piece of dowel and rotate it around the tube end several times. This will remove any left-over glue and deburr it slightly. Don't overdo it, just enough for a good fit for the bushing.

frank123

Yes I use a pen mill. I will have to find a Chamfering tool it seems.

You can get one that will work perfectly at any gun store selling reloading supplies or larger outlets such as Sportsman's Warehouse.

They're used to chamfer the inside and outside edges of trimmed shell case necks, which is exactly the same as chamfering a pen tube. They range from a couple of bucks for the cheapest ones to about 15 or so for the top end, all work equally well.

flyitfast

The best and cheapest reamer I've found is this one at Harbor Freight.
The pointy end will clean and round the tube. With the chamfered opening, your pen parts will go in much easier ( along with your new 7mm bushings) Congrats on turning between centers - the only way to go.

Reamer/Deburring Tool

Four bucks or better when on sale or with a discount coupon.

gordon

Neededwill

I just wanted to say thank you for all the help. I searched 3 different stores that sold guns and ammo but none around that sell the supplies to make the ammo. So I found a chainsaw file that was suggested and it has worked perfectly. Things the eye can't see, but the file can. I got the tbc bushings to fit easily. Now time to try this tbc process out.

Thanks again!!

Randall

dperk

Here is a link to a web reseller showing "chamfer" tools:

Link

The "L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Caliber" is similar to what I use.

You can use the tag end of a file to just clean the tube up. Just slip it in until you get to the area that starts to taper out and spin the tube in it that should clear any burr you may have. I usually use a reloading chamfer tool on mine.

Top Bottom