TBC Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Just curious, why don't you use the regular bushings?

One can use non-TBC bushings (.247 inch hole on the middle to fit a mandrel). In some cases, they may not be machined as precisely. If I use them if I don't have TBC bushings. I rotate each a quarter-turn in opposite directions about half-way though turning a barrel. I do the same with my TBC bushings. It is supposed minimize the effects of "slop" in the businings.It my be as effective as throwing salt over my shoulder and carrying a rabbit's foot, but I do it anyway. Of course, there is always not using any bushings and using calipers to achieve your final dimensions. Enjoy!

Woodchipper

Went back and re-read the posts. First, Tony has a good idea; will try it on some pens I am working on for a banquet giveaway. Second, Lee's comment on precision has a ton of merit. There is a big difference on slop and precision.

keithlong

I have been using TBC bushings on slimline kits for a long time and have turned several hundred pens with them, but they are worn out. I figured out a way a long time back to turn both barrels with one set of TBC bushings. I measured the length of both tubes trimmed, then measured the length of the shoulders of the bushings and added the width of a center band and cut it to this length and I do use one standard bushing in the middle of the barrels. One TBC bushing on the nib end an one TBC bushing on the cap end. It works real good and there is no chatter when turning.

KiwiBob

Hi Keith. I to want to turn both barrels using TBC but can't follow your instruction. Not your fault I'm sure I'm thick. Can you please post a picture of your setup.
Cheers

Top Bottom