TBC bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I don't think those exist. . Oh, yes they do ... see below. . I stand corrected !!

Last edited:

chartle

Yes they do make them just don't have a source at my fingertips.

They don't have a hole in them so you can't use them at all on a pen mandrel.

RustySocket

Thanks for all the help everybody.

Does anyone who has used them know if they are long enough to place a guide bushing on them as well as support the brass tube?

I've been using a mandrel to turn but am looking for that next bit of accuracy.

mecompco

Does anyone who has used them know if they are long enough to place a guide bushing on them as well as support the brass tube?

I've been using a home-made set for a while, they look just like the Lazerline ones. Not sure what you mean about a "guide bushing". You just insert the ends of the bushings into the tube and snug them up between your dead and live center. No extra equipment needed.

PS Perhaps your thinking you can chuck up two blanks like you do on a mandrel? When you TBC it is pretty much one blank at a time.

Last edited:

chartle

I've been using a home-made set for a while, they look just like the Lazerline ones. Not sure what you mean about a "guide bushing". You just insert the ends of the bushings into the tube and snug them up between your dead and live center. No extra equipment needed.

PS Perhaps your thinking you can chuck up two blanks like you do on a mandrel? When you TBC it is pretty much one blank at a time.

Think the OP wants to use the bushings to replace the mandrel for other 7mm tube pens like a trimline.

BSea

Think the OP wants to use the bushings to replace the mandrel for other 7mm tube pens like a trimline.
He can do that, he'll just have to measure with calipers for the proper diameter.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

The short answer is yes (the ones provided by Lazerlinez) if the guide bushing is quite narrow not more than maybe a quarter inch, and it would need to be a pretty tight fit over the end of the TBC bushing that goes in the tube..

Last edited:

RustySocket

I guess I'm having trouble explaining what I want to do in words that make sense.

All I really need to know is how long is the 7mm portion of the laserlinz tbc bushing that goes inside the brass tube?

Charlie_W

I guess I'm having trouble explaining what I want to do in words that make sense.

All I really need to know is how long is the 7mm portion of the laserlinz tbc bushing that goes inside the brass tube?

1/2" inside the tube seems to be the norm for Laserlinez TBC bushings.
Amount of bushing outside the tube varies from 3/8" to 7/16" with what I have on hand.

Hope that helps!

chartle

I figured thats what you wanted to do but there maybe some reasons not to. If you don't have a lot of bushing in the tube the blank may wobble and defeat the purpose of TBCs.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I have a set of slimline bushings from Lazerlinez and about 1/2 inch does go inside the tube. Constant is a member here and you can contact him via Lazerlinez Vendor forum.

Last edited:

RustySocket

Thanks for everyones help. I went ahead and took advantage of laserlinz 40% discount on some inlays and added a set of bushings to try out. Likely i will be using them for just slimlines as intended but was wondering about being able to use them for a saturn type kit as well. It will be a fun experiment for me to learn from.

Im learning and seeing so many different things i want to try. I will start out by investigating one thing and in the process get sidetracked in a different direction... Im more excited to get the inlay kits that i found on laserlinz site than trying the bushings... and the bandsaw will be here tomorrow that i didnt know i would want until i saw a segmented blank that i found while looking for a drill bit.

anyone else have this problem.?

chartle

Im learning and seeing so many different things i want to try. I will start out by investigating one thing and in the process get sidetracked in a different direction... Im more excited to get the inlay kits that i found on laserlinz site than trying the bushings... and the bandsaw will be here tomorrow that i didnt know i would want until i saw a segmented blank that i found while looking for a drill bit.

anyone else have this problem.?

Yep I make certain type of pen and then move on. As for getting sidetracked my turning hobby started out as me wanting to make handle wraps for hiking sticks.

Please try to follow along. :)

Hiking - making hiking sticks - making turks head knots for hiking sticks out of paracord - making paracord bracelets - getting more involved in general "Crafting" or "Making" - seeing other crafters make pens - contacting one to make a graduation present for son - remembering that I once wanted to make pens when I saw an article in Fine Woodworking 40 years ago - figured I have a lot of nieces and nephews graduating college in the next 6 years so cheaper to "just buy a cheap HF lathe" - make a couple of dozen pens - buy tons of other stuff to make blanks, polymer clay, polyester resin, etc - buy a 4 jaw chuck that cost 80% of the cost of the lathe to make other stuff like bowls - download plans to make a Longworth chuck to make better bowls - lather rinse repeat.

Top Bottom