TBC Bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dachshund1

Guys and gals:

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm new to the pen turning hobby - and could find no definitive resolution in the forum archives.

Is www.classicnib.com now the sole source for TBC pen bushings? From my reading of past threads, John Goodin (johnnycnc) up in Indiana had apparently been a high quality supplier of these for some years.

I have no proverbial dog in the fight. Just askin' re: current availability.

Terry
(dachshund1)
Lexington, KY, USA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Hi Terry and welcome to IAP.

One of our members here Brian is a machinist who makes TBC bushings. His member name is NIKITAS and you can contact him through email.

TonyL

Laserlinenz is another source.I am not sure of the extent of his inventory, and his decision to make bushing that he currently doesn't stock.

I want some CSUSA patriot, and others myself.

Charlie_W

Lazerlinez not only makes but also sells these bushings for certain pens. These are also the ones that Classic nib sells. Check both sites as one may have inventory where the other is sold out of a particular item.

John Goodin is no longer supplying bushings.

Brian can make custom bushings if you need some you can't get elsewhere or if you want a specific diameter.

TonyL

If you can't find what you need you can always use regular bushings. That's what I do.

I can, and do, but I find them "sloppy", easy to bend (insert to shoulder), and wear very quickly. The only consolation is that they are less expensive.

Just my experience and opinion. I usually wind-up not using any, bur I din't like repeatedly checking with calipers.

dachshund1

Thanks for the prompt responses, everyone.

Being a relative newbie, my TBC bushing needs are neither demanding nor pressing (pardon the awful pun).

However, as I progress beyond turning standard slim lines on a mandrel, I may explore a set of the TBC bushings with a decent live center.

Terry

Charlie_W

Being a relative newbie, my TBC bushing needs are neither demanding nor pressing (pardon the awful pun).

However, as I progress beyond turning standard slim lines on a mandrel, I may explore a set of the TBC bushings with a decent live center.

Terry

....And a dead center in the headstock.

dachshund1

Terry

....And a dead center in the headstock.

Yep. I've got both live and dead centers - but the former isn't particularly high quality. I figure turning nicely-engineered TBC bushings using cheap, well-worn hardware may defeat the purpose. :wink:

mecompco

If you can't find what you need you can always use regular bushings. That's what I do.

I've drilled all my bushings with a 60 deg. center drill and that seems to work OK.

I did make up a set of TBC Slim bushings that, although not perfect (ended up a couple thou. undersized), work OK.

Since standard Slim bushings don't protrude into the tube, I don't know how one get them to work for TBC.

JimB

I've drilled all my bushings with a 60 deg. center drill and that seems to work OK.

I did make up a set of TBC Slim bushings that, although not perfect (ended up a couple thou. undersized), work OK.

Since standard Slim bushings don't protrude into the tube, I don't know how one get them to work for TBC.

Yep, the slim bushings are a problem. I don't think I've ever seen a solution for that.

stuckinohio

I just used a set of bolt action TBC bushings, for the first time, from Lazerlinez and they are awesome!

I've been using regular bushings between centers. That way is better than a mandrel, but not near as nice as using proper bushings.

Get them earlier than later. You won't be sorry!

TurtleTom

TBC bushings for slims will fit into the tube and have no through hole.

Top Bottom