TBC Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

I went to Penturnersproducts website and saw there were no bushings in stock. Is there any other place I can get these bushings? Thanks for any info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Sorry but I need to call this one and ask to show us the quality.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30...ferences-114863/?highlight=TBC+quality+vendor

:Edit:

I should elaborate on this and say each 'vendor' has different and unique aspects of their version of bushings and to get replacements based on that is impossible. To compare quality there is a very wide gap in tooling and operator skill sets and also level of detail in the product, that you are unable to match as each are unique in their own right.

Question is what are you willing to accept and put up with and how much are you willing to forgo and do without.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Ed read post #19 in that thread by Lazerlinez, in it he has said those are not his bushings and every set that I have bought from him is camfered, never off centered and all are drilled through to be used on a mandrel or center to center.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30...ferences-114863/?highlight=TBC+quality+vendor

I should elaborate on this and say each 'vendor' has different and unique aspects of their version of bushings and to get replacements based on that is impossible. To compare quality there is a very wide gap in tooling and operator skill sets and also level of detail in the product, that to you are unable to match as each are unique in their own right.

Question is what are you willing to accept and put up with and how much are you willing to forgo and do without.

edstreet

Ed read post #19 in that thread by Lazerlinez, in it he has said those are not his bushings and every set that I have bought from him is camfered, never off centered and all are drilled through to be used on a mandrel or center to center.

I should elaborate on this and say each 'vendor' has different and unique aspects of their version of bushings and to get replacements based on that is impossible. To compare quality there is a very wide gap in tooling and operator skill sets and also level of detail in the product, that to you are unable to match as each are unique in their own right.

I also refused to say who made those bushings as the post was not about vendor bashing but more one based on quality.

OKLAHOMAN

I'll buy that. In reading between the lines I can only take it that you have not compared Lazerlinez with Johnny CNC and being I do not have your photo skills I would be happy to send to a set of his to compare if you PM me your address.

I also refused to say who made those bushings as the post was not about vendor bashing but more one based on quality.

08K.80

A local tool room guy made bushings for a Jr. Gent 1 for me. I can't compare to either of the places mentioned here, but they are very smooth running. There isn't any vibration at all and they fit snuggly in the tubes. They worked great and maybe you could find a local machinist to make some for you. :wink:

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I went to Penturnersproducts website and saw there were no bushings in stock. Is there any other place I can get these bushings? Thanks for any info

I've conversed some with john goodin at penturners products and I believe that he simply does not have the time to make bushings right now. Hopefully that will change in the future. I like his bushings best.

I also have some from lazerlinez that can be used for mandrel or tbc. I like them as well but wish They were solid instead of having the mandrel hole.

Given the price, I'd recommend you give the lazerlinez bushings a try.

I see a huge hold in the market and wish someone would step in and make more.

Inevitably, someone will jump in and say you don't need bushings, which is true but I sure do like them!

ossaguy

If you are going to have some made,then you might want to have a set made like what I bought from John Goodin.

These were on his site only a short time,and they are TBC bushings that are broad at the tapers,but have the 7mm post on them.So with these,you can slide on any of your bushings that have a 7mm hole on each one,and there you go.They have the nice taper machined in them.

They work slick,as you don't need to buy all the different TBC ones.

I'm sad to hear that John isn't making them anymore,as his workmanship is the best,and he is a great guy to buy from.

Steve

panamag8or

These were on his site only a short time,and they are TBC bushings that are broad at the tapers,but have the 7mm post on them.So with these,you can slide on any of your bushings that have a 7mm hole on each one,and there you go.They have the nice taper machined in them.

They work slick,as you don't need to buy all the different TBC ones.

Steve

Holy cow, that never even occurred to me. I have the 7mm set, and I'm going to go try this.

Dan Masshardt

That is interesting. I've never heard of those.

You would still be at the whim of potentially poorly made / machined stock bushings, but otherwise a really cool idea.

Maybe someone could find a maker to do a group buy on something like this.

ossaguy

I just use them to get really close,then switch to no bushings for the final work.

They keep me from going too far,by giving me a reference to go by.

I'm always afraid of losing one,knowing that you can't get a replacement set.

Steve

edstreet

I thought the idea of TBC was not to use bushings as bushings can introduce error.

Not even close.

TBC is bushings. Using a mandrel involves using a shaft that can flex and bend if used improperly or with a bad design. TBC removes this shaft from the equation.

To many people attempts to compare precision cut TBC bushings to sloppy factory mandrel bushings in which case precision will almost always trump slop.

I would like to urge everyone to read this thread in it's entirety and understand what was posted by all. I have included photo's to detail various differences

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/tbc-mandrel-112218/

Adillo303

Hi edstreet,

I understand the problems with a mandrel. I use mine for very few things any more. Actually, JR Beall has a procedure on one of his videos showing how to true the shaft. One of our vendors (here at IAP) has a fixture that mounts on the banjo to accept a dial indicator so one can measure shaft runout and true it. With all that said, mandrels can still be a source of error and I avoid them.

Bushings are not really trustworthy either. I now understand we are talking bushings that are turned or somehow made to proper tolerances.

Unless I am mistaken, there is a thread on here somewhere which suggests mounting the blank and bushings between centers, then turning just proud of the bushings, removing the bushings and mounting just the blank (gently) between the centers.

This is what I have been doing. I use my calipers to measure the exact kit parts that I am building and finish turning, sand CA Finish to that diameter.

That is what I thought TBC is / was.

Please do not read this as me being angry or belligerent. I am just trying to learn and make the best pen I can.

Since I am not depending on a bushing for my final size, I have chosen not to replace my investment in factory bushings. In fact, I have made a couple kits without using bushings at all as I goofed and forgot to order bushings when I bought a new style kit.

Final note on bushings, sanding and inadvertent chisel touches will eventually change the size of any bushing.

edstreet

Actually it is me that was somewhat incorrect and in another sense we are both correct.

TBC is Turn between centers. With or without bushings it works the same concept. I suppose someone could also say they turn a mandrel shaft between centers as well but lets not go there shall we? :)

I have also used a 60 degree tool to make TBC bushings from mass produced bushings. They work but are only as good as the original design. If they are off center you cannot fix them that I know of. If they don't run true they are junk. Constant makes great bushings I have a few of his sets. I also have some of John and they are absolutely the best I have used. Constants are also very very good. I will be getting all my bushings from him from now on. Check out his kits also they are really nice.

Top Bottom