Tarnish.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

To a degree I realize that this is going to be a "Your mileage may vary" sort of situation dependent upon the individual. Most pens I see made use metal parts that won't tarnish... either plated or silver, stainess, etc...... seldom do you see brass or copper or others. I'm curious, just to get an idea..... what is your take on the look of a pen who's center band may tarnish/patina like copper? Something that could work? Something to be avoided? Eh?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I use brass lots and it tarnishes and I don't care and my customers don't care either. Age is not a bad thing. Copper however can tarnish in a bad way that is unsitely and can even get nasty, like green slime, so it's not the best choice.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
will tarnish

To a degree I realize that this is going to be a "Your mileage may vary" sort of situation dependent upon the individual. Most pens I see made use metal parts that won't tarnish... either plated or silver, stainess, etc...... seldom do you see brass or copper or others. I'm curious, just to get an idea..... what is your take on the look of a pen who's center band may tarnish/patina like copper? Something that could work? Something to be avoided? Eh?

Thanks.

1st - silver will in fact tarnish....and it might or might not take on a nice patina when it does but usually it just blackens

Copper will also tarnish and it might or might not take on a nice color when it does but usually it turns sort of green

That being said there are kits available in quite a few styles that use copper and silver. Kits can also be had in antique copper, antique bronze and a few other finishes.

ldb2000

I make allot of pens using Aluminum and Brass . Yes they tarnish or oxidize but if you have a hard polish on them the process takes awhile to happen and they can be buffed right back to a high shine with a drop of Flitz on a soft cloth and a little hand buffing . I include a little baggie of "Nevrdull" polishing wadding with all the metal pens I sell , a quick buff with a small piece will renew the shine in seconds and it leaves a protective coating that helps prolong the shine .

Edit ; The Nevrdull won't harm a cured CA finish and won't dull acrylics and won't damage any plated parts that might have been used

Last edited:
Top Bottom