Taking up knitting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rblakemore

or basket weaving!!

My HRB and spalted maple both blew out today!!:mad::mad: Stopped to cry and work on tile removal in our master bath remodel.

I used epoxy for both and a square EZTool. My first thoughts are that at least two errors occurred. I did not have good glue coverage and the edge of the EZTool blade hit the bushing, bounced, and grabbed the blanks. Should have been a fairly new and sharp blade.

Anyway, take a break. I think that I can find the chips to repair the HRB, and I will add a little red coral powder for the crack repair joints.

Don't be overconfident and be super careful!!

Attachments

• 9T4A7664_cropped.jpg
    9T4A7664_cropped.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Think of it as a design opportunity rather than a blow out. This happened to me and others at an advanced pen making class and we overcame the unexpected with crushed stone and thin CA or a parting tool and contrasting wood.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I believe I see corrosion spots on the left tube. Did you sand them? If you can find the pieces, you can glue them back in place with thin CA. Then, coat the blank real good. Let it run down into the break. I'm just guessing 'cause....this has never happened to me HaHa!

Last edited:

KenV

Do no be so hasty in selecting Knitting as the alternative --- I live with a fiber person who weaves, spins, knits, etc. I see lots of rearing out of rows and rows and rows of stiches because of a problem that was not observed until lots of effort was expended.

If you want some better perspective on turning -- make some 8 inch long knitting needles 3 mm in diameter. Blowout in pens will fade into a opportunity to change plans and make a few adjustments.

edstreet

I believe I see corrosion spots on the left tube. Did you sand them? If you can find the pieces, you can glue them back in place with thin CA. Then, coat the blank real good. Let it run down into the break. I'm just guessing 'cause....this has never happened to me HaHa!

Don't take this the wrong way :) (My replies has more to do with post count and you just happen to be the highest listed in this post ;)

Like any accident and the like failures of this nature are more often the result of a cascade of problems that happened up to that point.

Noted was epoxy, lack of on the left tube. What was not noted was the squareness of the right tube (we see wood sticking out over the tube), also the excessive epoxy trails and the lack of fibers on the epoxy residue on the tube. So likely there could be a drilling problem, things like heat build up, wrong size bit for both sections. etc.

Since "this has never happened to me HaHa!" I would like to urge you to do some testing and play around with things and get a blow out like this then study what happens and why. Also I would have to wonder how much truth is in the "never happened" line.

What seems to be the problem? My mentor always says when something goes wrong it is an opportunity an improved design.

You just have a twofor.

Good luck, remember you would have to sit in the house next to to your mate and they would have to be telling you why the stitch you did is wrong.

Two missed up blanks seem to be minor distractions to me.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm glad you picked me. Based on my post count? I guess it is getting up there. Of course it's happened to me. That was edited in with no emoticons available to express my "just joking". When it does happen to me, it's not a big deal to me. If I can find the pieces and, make a repair, I will. If not, oh well. Not rocket science at all. Cascade?

Top Bottom