Taking Slimlines apart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I've had a few pens done now where - because of one thing or another, if I could take it apart and put it back on the lathe, I could "rescue" it.

I bought one of those "take-your-pen-apart kits" and worked out the top part, removing the cap and clip with no problems. I can remove the nib fixture (Is that what it's called?) But I cannot seem to get that twist mechanism out for anything! I handed everything over to my cousin, mechanically inclined genius. She couldn't get it out either.

What's the trick? Or did I just ruin a fair pen to make a great pen?[V]
Cathy Sue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I use the Harbor Freight transfer punches, and strongly suggest you get a set - it's the best $8 investment you'll make. Upper barrel is easy, as you mentioned. For the lower barrel, I use the biggest punch that fits inside the transmission, and knock out the tip. Then I use the biggest punch that fits inside the barrel, wrap the blank with a non-slip rubber grippy thing (yes, that's the technical name for it), and give the punch a few good whacks. The transmission will eventually fall out.

hanau

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Finishing_Supplies_&_Tools.htm
7mm Disassembly Tool

Pen_Disassembly_Tool_web.jpg

airrat

If you have the kit pictured above. You use the Black Rod to remove the final and clip from the top. You take the Silver rod and feed it through the Twist Mech to tap off the nib. Take the Base Block and put the tapered end over the twist Mech and butt it up against the pen. Take the Black Rod and feed it through the open end where the nib was. Now I use my lathe as a press. I put the base block against the headstock (no mandrel or anything in the headstock) and put the Black rod against the tail stock. Lock it all down and slowly twist the tail stock handle to push the twist mech into the Base Block. It does not take much to get it to move, keep hand over base block and pen, when the twist mech pops out it will all fall.

Rochester

I've been using a little trick that I discovered to remove the tranny from slimlines. I took a fender washer and drilled out the hole so it was the same size as the outside of the transmission. After I have removes the tip I slip the transmission through the washer and set the washer on the jaws of my bench vise, open just enough so the transmission will fit between the jaws. I then use the largest Harbour Freight punch that will fit in the tube and gently tap it until the tranny is driven out. You MUST make sure that the tube and wood are level. If the wood sticks out past the tube you will crack it when you drive the tranny out. So far I have been able to remove several trannsmissions without any damage to the blank.

Dale (rochester)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, I don't have the Harbour Freight Punch. But I do have that kit Tom showed here. And WOW! I understand how to use it now. Thanks Tom. I've been wondering what that "base block" was even in the kit.[:D] cathysue

stevers

I still cant get the nibs and trans out of the tubes. I need to order the punch set. Guess I only have a few days left of the sale. Best get my butt in gear. Ahh, I'll do it tomorrow.

hrigg

I drilled an 11/32" hole in a piece of 2x4. The hole is a slip fit for the Slimline nib...there's just enough lip to catch the lower barrel, assuming the pen has a comfort bulge to it. Use the silver rod from the AZ kit, and a light weight ballpeen hammer and the nib can be tapped out pretty easily. Insert the transmission into the AZ base block and put that into your pen vise, with CB removed and the barrel exposed. The black rod/hammer will tap the transmission out. Only had to do this once, but having the need to do it three or four times previously is what prompted me to buy the kit.

Jamie

I have taken a few apart and for me, who has bad hands, the "trick" seems to be hitting the rod many, many times. I get comfortable, insert the knock out rod and beat it with a wood rasp till either the part comes loose or my flowing blood stops me from getting a good grip.

Nope, Tom has it exactly right. When you get to the point where you're removing the mechanism, you don't want to whack it..that will mushroom the end of your rod, and possibly damage the mechanism as well. As Tom has said, you want to put the base block over the mechanism, tapered end toward the pen body, insert the larger rod in the opposite end of the body, then press it out. Drill press, or whatever you use to press the pen together, works great!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Seems like there's more than one way to do it. I sat down last night with all those pen pieces ... and was able to recover all the clips and trans and etc - except for what the kitten borrowed. It tickled me. Even now I can still learn things - and remember long enough to practice.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom