Taking pens apart?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Maarten

Hi my name is Maarten and i am from south africa and would like to know if someone can give me more info on taking pens apart that has cracked when it was pressed.i am still new at this and have made a few mistakes on my pens thanks for all the other info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Marten; You can likely get transfer punches locally. They are used by machinists to make centering marks for holes. In a pinch, any steel rod of the correct size will work. A 1/8" (3mm) rod can be used to push out the nib. a larger rod that just fits into the brass tube can be used to push out transmission, center band, or finial. Many gentle taps are better than one great blow.

Montana Joe

Nothing worse than having a pen crack during assembly. Some things I am careful about to prevent it.
1. When gluing the tube in the blank, try to minimize the glue at each end thereby giving some expansion room for the tube inside the blank. The brass tube will expand but the wood, (especially hard woods) will not, resulting in a crack.
2. Thoroughly clean any residual glue from inside each end of the tube prior to pressing the pen together. Using sandpaper wrapped around a transfer punch will help.
3. When pressing together, be sure the parts are straight.
4. Sometimes putting the metal parts in the freezer for awhile will make them easier to press into the tubes.

Jim Burr

Banned
Lot of great pen guys in SA. A punch, as mentioned can work, but they don't always work well! What kind of wood did you use and look at ideas to prevent the issue from presenting itself again.

Top Bottom