Taking apart a Serria

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byoung0584

One of my customers got touch with me about the wood on a serria i sold him. He said that it split on him and wanted it replaced. I have extra tubes and wanted to know if any of you have ever been able to take one apart. I tried it on one i have around the house and I broke it all to peices. Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Depending on which style you have, if you need an extra part in case you damage something trying to get it apart, I have some extra pieces. I only use the transmission and tube out of the kits. the rest is tossed aside. Mike

byoung0584

When i tried to pop the cap off the one i had it home just the top (dome) came off the other part was stuck in the tube still. I got it out with a pair of vice grips, but i couldnt get it to go back together and work. I am actually using woodcraft's wallstreet II i done know if that makes a diferance or not.

MartinPens

You need to find something that fits fairly snug into the tube to get all the parts out. They make a dis-assembly tool for this kit. I use and old drill bit - placing the non drilling portion of the bit in the tube. Also - do you use CA to finish your pens? I had cracking in pens early on when I was using a friction polish. Since CAglue I've had very few problems. Hope you get it figured out.

Martin

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Which Style of Wall street II? I have the satin/chrome cap and the Copper kit cap.

rimo

as mentioned above, you just need the right size punch. I bought a fairly inexpensive set at Harbor Freight. You will need the size diameter that just fits inside the tube so you can take the entire cap assembly off, including the barbed flange that holds the cap in the tube.

Mac

transfer punches at HF. I use as disassemble punches. Can't remember the price but a whole set of punches is less than one disassemble kit.
And every time I need a certain size it seems to be in there.
If you did not glue in the blank to the clip it should nock right out .I use a rubber lid remover (wifes) to wrap around the blank so that it will not slip in my hand. My hand is the vise that way no marks or indentions in the blank.

DennisM

me its only a wall street II? I would just remake a pen for him, and keep the old one to pull apart later and remake it then.

Have the new one ready for him when he drops off the old one. Instant fix for him, and he will remember that! Thats worth the 8 bucks in the long run..

dl351

I made the mistake of punching out just the small cap of a Wall St. II. It went back together, though. As mentioned, just make sure you use a punch that's large enough to push on the solid brass of the "cap."

byoung0584

Thanks guys. I went ahead and made him another, but i wanted to be able to recover my parts out of it. I used a transfer punch from the machine shop at work. I will have to buy that set from HF next time i am by there.

emccarthy

To remove that cap, using what I had at hand, I ended up using a smaller punch, but was able to keep it on the brass part. I held it upside down, and hit the punch on a convenient hard surface. worked good, and I was able to reuse the part

Bree

The best way is to get the HF Transfer Punch set. You can file off the point or just drill a similar size hole in a small block of very hard wood and slip it over the pointed end of the largest punch that fits the tube. The punch has to contact the edge of the component that is abutting the tube. Then start gently tapping it out.

You can put on some gloves with slip resistant coating or maybe suede that resists slippage to hold the tube as you tap. I used to use a big rubber band to help hold the tube/blank in place as I tap. The object is not to damage the tube, the blank, or the component. So just take your time and tap tap tap and it will come out.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

randyrls

If you use a transfer punch to remove the cap and clip assembly, you may pull the pieces of the cap apart. You will need to drill a hole in a piece of scrap acrylic and reset the cap and clip assembly, then press the cap and clip together.

nava1uni

I would instruct your customer not to leave the pen in the hot sun or in his hot car and that can cause the wood to expand and contract and crack. It is nice that you are willing to replace it for him.

Top Bottom