Taking apart a Jr Gent...Cap. Not good...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JMT

Yeah.....OK....so some may remember I posted thread about Jr. Gent parts a few days ago. I ended up finding an old prototype Jr. Gent I did long agothat I figured I could take apart and use for parts. Goal was to get the plastic threaded insert in the cap out of one pen and replace the same broken part in another.

How in the &@#$@ do you punch out the threaded insert/center band on a Jr. Gent? You're banging against plastic. It wouldn't budge and I knew I was damaging the insert. Long story short...it went badly. I completely destroyed the cap of Pen#1. Got the insert out. (Yay?) It's ready for Pen#2....but I have NO IDEA how to punch out the broken insert/center band in Pen#2 without nuking it.

Ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JMT

Ahhhhh.....got it. OK....that will be interesting. Many many thanks. We'll see if I can pull that off.

maxman400

I think I know what you are asking. I had some problems with the Jr Gents 1 when they first came out, the center band was too big for the tubes. So after getting two of them stuck half way, the company sent me new center bands. I used a hacksaw blade that had the back of the blade ground down to fit inside of the center band tube. I cut two relief's opposite of each other until I got to the tube, the band will then collapse in on it's self and pop right out with a few taps from a punch and hammer. I hope this helps.

Russianwolf

I usually pop the finial out and then push the nylon part up and out. The centerband, if you need to remove it is a pain in the kischter.

In your case, put the new nylon piece in the finial hole and push it down into position, then put the finial back on.

JMT

Yeah....I got this sorted yesterday. Of all things, a small standard screwdriver's handle I had matched the diameter perfect for pushing the nylon piece out. Really appreciate the advice guys. Thx.

Top Bottom