Tailstock on Jet Mini keeps coming loose...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hi there,
I have a jet mini and the I tighten it down start turning and the tailstock always comes loose. I retighten again and it works ok. Does anyone have a solution on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philipff

This problem is well documented and is best resolved by a new under-plate that is square and somewhat larger in surface area than the round/factory one. I had mine made by my bro-inlaw and any machine shop in youir are could do the job. If you need one from my bro-inlaw I will ask for a price quote. Phil

workinforwood

You can also adjust the nut/bold that holds it down. Turn the crank so the tail stock is in loose sliding mode, reach underneath and tighten the nut a 1/4 turn and give it a try. If still not holding..do it again until you get nut to where you like it. A larger washer under the nut can also help with more gripping surface, but I never found it to be needed on mine.

randyrls

Nick; I believe JohnnyCNC has these, but shows out of stock. I believe others have offered these from time to time. I made one for the Mini lathe I had. Not difficult for anyone with a metal-working mill.

Caution; don't try this on a drill press, it isn't designed to resist sideways pressure.

GregHight

I had that problem on a ShopFox mini and it ended up having a bent post on the cam mechenism. I tried to straigten it but it just snapped the first time I tried to lock down the tail stock. It was a cheap part and easy to change but I can only assume that the Jet has a similar part.

JerrySambrook

One of the issues with the stock jet parts is the poor metal that the cam lock itself is made from.

We made a couple of them for both Eric Holmquist (holmqer)and myself as well as the larger sized plates.
Eric has both on his lathe, while I only changed the cam bolt.
There is no stretch like the stock parts, so they hold great once adjusted correctly

Top Bottom