Tailstock & Headstock doesn't meet up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceD

I have a Jet VS mini and I have just recently noticed a few out of round turnings and traced it back to the tailstock not meeting up with the headstock. I checked it by putting the live center in the tailstock and a spur center in the headstock. When I bring up the live center to the spur center the cone of the live center falls right below the cone of the spur. I use a second Jet Mini VS just to drill on and when I checked that one I found that I have the same problem with that one also.

Is there a way to correct that problem myself or should I have it checked out by a service center. Any help would be appreciated.

Dario

Russ Fairfield have an article but can't find it now. Someone else will surely come up with it soon though.[;)]

It is an easy fix it the headstock is lower, just shim it. Side to side variance depends on how much play your tailstock have. The headstock can also be moved sideways a bit. hope this helps.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This moldy-oldy still works. I didn't write it, but I also don't remember where I got it other than to say it was a reputable source or I wouldn't have saved it.

To check the alignment of your headstock and tailstock, insert a live center into the tailstock and a 8spur drive into the headstock. Make sure that the points are not dulled or bent in either the spur or the live centerâ€"this will mislead you in your measurement. Bring up the tailstock to within 1/4" to 1/2" from the spur center, then tighten down the tailstock and quill. Now, observe the alignment of the two points. If the points are misaligned, you can compensate by placing a shim under the appropriate corner(s) of the tailstock to adjust the alignment. Often a sheet or two of paper will be adequate to shim the tailstock. For more exaggerated errors, contact the lathe manufacturer for repair or replacement of the tailstock or tailstock quill. An extreme case may require reboring of the Morse taper on the tailstock quill. If the lathe headstock is bolted to the frame or ways as with the Jet mini-lathe and Delta Midi, you can realign it with the addition of a permanent shim under the appropriate corner. On other lathes such as the Oneway, for example, you can align the headstock by adjusting the jack screws provided for that purpose. If you own a Nova 3000/DVR, you can reposition the lathe ways themselves, as they are screwed to the headstock unit. Be sure to follow the instructions in your owner’s manual for all adjustments noted above. On lathes with a rotating headstock, the click stop positioning may not be accurate enough to return to perfect alignment. A double-ended Morse taper will aid in regularly realigning the headstock each time it is moved. These are available from Lee Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom