Tailstock chuck spins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I drill all my blanks on the lathe using a drill chuck with a #2 morse taper in the tailstock. Periodically the drill chuck will spin in the tailstock. Is there a way to "clean up" the #2 morse taper or do I need to replace it.

Thanks for the assistance,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

They make reamers for the tail stock taper. as for the taper on the chuck itself I would just use rags, steel wool or whatever it takes to remove any grime. do try solvents before abrasives for cleaning though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are you fairly certain you don't have the tailstock fully retracted (to the "remove your insert" position??

Most lathes will "grab" the insert about 3/8" out from the end of the threading--inside the tailstock

BigguyZ

I reccomend washing out the taper with MS and use a rag to get in there.

Also, do you just place the chuck in the tailstock? I find you really need to tap the taper into the tailstock (and headstock for that matter) with a hammer and a wood block. That will seat the taper and give a more secure hold.

Randy_

A cleaning of the spindle hole and the chuck arbor with some solvent and the "gentle" application of a wooden block should resolve your problem with about a 99% certainty.

You should also check the chuck arbor for tiny nicks or burrs that might impede a good fit. A light sanding with fine grit sandpaper (say 600 grit or finer) might help.

And as an obscure possibility, check the size of the taper on your drill chuck. Some drill chucks come with a Jacobs taper rather than with a Morse taper and they look very similar to the naked eye.

Where are all of the machinists out there?? What is the correct technical name of the hole in the end of the spindle that accepts the chuck arbor?? Most folks refer to it as the Morse taper; but I am pretty sure that is not correct. "Morse taper" describes the size and shape of the hole; but I think the hole, itself, has some other name.

Help!!!

randyrls

A Jacobs taper is the tang that goes into a jacobs drill chuck.
Just like MT tapers there are many JT (Jacobs Taper); common ones for drill chucks are JT6 and JT33

johnnycnc

Where are all of the machinists out there?? What is the correct technical name of the hole in the end of the spindle that accepts the chuck arbor?? Most folks refer to it as the Morse taper; but I am pretty sure that is not correct. "Morse taper" describes the size and shape of the hole; but I think the hole, itself, has some other name.

I believe the female portion would be termed a socket and the male a shank.

Randy_

"MS" is mineral spirits, I suspect.

Johnny: Thanks for that. I think "socket" is the correct term. I recall seeing that at some time in the remote past; but it just always escapes me when I need it......old age I guess. :bananen_smilies046:

Top Bottom