Taig Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes pens

If you have a Taig lathe, I am curious what you use to hold the pen mandrel in the head stock. I use the collet system. I was thinking about using a drill chuck. Or???

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougle40

My overall choice would definately be the Collet system . By far the truest method of going . I don't own one but I have used one and the collet was the way we used .

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a Taig and I am using a mandrel purchased from PSI.
Click here to see.
Or, if you go to their site, type in PKM-AL in "Search".

I have the collet system and a separate mandrel but have not used it yet. I might try as Doug suggested. I am reasonably happy with the mandrel from PSI.

dougle40

Hank,
That type is fine but the shaft is obviously inserted into the cap and , I'm guessing , is held in via a set screw . If so , eventually the hole is going to enlarge and get sloppy which can cause oval turning . This is from experience with the one that I have , no matter what I do , I can't get it to turn true any more . At present I have the mandrel shaft in the head via a tapered "drill driver" but I lose some length by using this and can no longer turn some of the longer pen kits . I will be definately be buying one of the drill driver types very soon .

leehljp

Member Liaison
Doug,

The shaft is threaded and screws into the cap. I have an extra shaft that I bought with the Taig; it uses a collet or chuck, but haven't tried that yet.

mikes pens

Doug, I tried to buy the one Hank uses. The guy I buy from wouldn't sell it to me because he gets too many returns on it he said. He suggested the collet system also which is what I use. I am curious about using a drill chuck as an option.

Mike

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mike,

I wonder what the problem is? I know that some items at Harbor Freight have very high returns but there are a percentage of any given product that works great - even it is only 10%. I guess I got one of the good ones. I will be careful about recommending it in the future. My curiosity is up and I will try the collet system out as soon as I can - just to see how much better it is.

I could understand a problem with set screws as Doug mentioned, but this set is machined and threaded.

As far as my Taig is concerned, I bought the "metal" lathe and then got extras to do wood. So far, I haven't tried any metal turning. But I did put the cross slide and carbide bit on it to see how accurately it would "machine" a pen blank. [:eek:)] It did OK but not as good as turning with the correct tools. [:I]

dougle40

The shaft is threaded and screws into the cap.
That would make much more sense and be far more accurate as long as it's been machined true in the first place .

Doug, I tried to buy the one Hank uses. The guy I buy from wouldn't sell it to me because he gets too many returns on it he said.
I wonder if the ones that they sell are actually made by Tiag or not ??? I do know that all the parts for that lathe that are sold by Lee Valley are either original Tiag parts or parts that are being made in their own factory (and they have VERY high QC standards) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom