Tacky circuit board blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JeffT

I recently got several circuit board blanks on cigar pens from WC. I have noticed that they are very tacky to the touch when taking them out of the package. So, should they be taken out and aired to allow the tackiness to dry or is this normal with the acrylic used for these? Also, I'll be turning with a carbide tool but what is the suggested best last finish; one of the plastic polishes?

Thanks for any advice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Many acrylics I get from everywhere is tacky, I mean sticky. It's the nature of the beast.

jbthbt

When I run into that, especially with this summer we've had, I just set them outside in the sun for an hour or so. That usually hardens them up for me...

seamus7227

It is just my opinion that you shouldnt use a carbide tool unless this is something you have done before with the plastics. Not questioning your skill level, but if you arent careful, the carbide can be quite aggressive and cause a blowout.

As far as the tackiness goes, like the other comments above, setting them out in the sun should do the trick. However, I do not recommend using that method with snakeskin blanks, cuz the sun will cause the skins to shrink from the heat, therefore ruining the blanks.

Last edited:
I've turned a lot of these and the coconuts, and every one of them's been tacky out of the bag. Usualy have to peel the bag off of them. They've also been the easiest blanks I've ever turned. I used different carbides, and finished off with micro mesh and buffing.

JohnU

As said above, the sun works just fine, or you can just turn them and the tacky surface will turn off. No big deal either way. Just remember the hotter you get them, the more brittle they become.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I'm in the "don't bother worrying" camp - Its just on the surface - turn away... In a couple seconds it won't be sticky anymore!

Rangertrek

Jeff, I have turned quite a few of those. I just hit them with the belt sander to round the edges a little while I am squaring the ends. The tacky goes away. No need to put in the sun, etc. just give em a turn.

Top Bottom