Table saw blade teeth recommendation! - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default Table saw blade teeth recommendation!

So I use my table saw for all of my cutting right now. I have an old bandsaw but I prefer my tablesaw. I'm building a sled for it, just waiting on the miter rods to come in. Right now I have a 60 tooth blade on it, but before I cut my sled, was wondering if anyone here thinks a larger tooth count blade would be better. I'm not sure if the blade thickness changes also, is why I'm waiting to cut sled. I'm making the sled mainly for my pen blanks and plan on ripping them. Thanks for any input!

Bobby

Last edited by bsshog40; 11-14-2018 at 07:44 PM.
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Don't know what a miter rod is so no comment there. If you are talking a miter bar used for a miter gauge, why not make your own out of hard wood. I make mine all out of red oak Being this is just a pen blank sled so a 60 tooth crosscut blade is fine for both ripping and cutting. If you were doing heavy ripping I would suggest a ripping blade 32 teeth or even 24. Thin kerf blade 3/32" is a good thickness blade. You can always use a thinner blade if you choose depending on your work. Getting into 80 and 100 tooth blades will not change thickness but again these are specialty blades and a waste of big money for a pen blank. My opinion.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Don't know what a miter rod is so no comment there. If you are talking a miter bar used for a miter gauge, why not make your own out of hard wood. I make mine all out of red oak Being this is just a pen blank sled so a 60 tooth crosscut blade is fine for both ripping and cutting. If you were doing heavy ripping I would suggest a ripping blade 32 teeth or even 24. Thin kerf blade 3/32" is a good thickness blade. You can always use a thinner blade if you choose depending on your work. Getting into 80 and 100 tooth blades will not change thickness but again these are specialty blades and a waste of big money for a pen blank. My opinion.
Thanks John. I didn't want to use wood as I can't guantee I would get them perfectly straight and even. I bought a couple aluminum bars, lol, for the sled. I have a 40 tooth that I use for heavy ripping but really haven't done any heavy stuff in a while. I bought the 60 a while back for some craft projects I was doing and just left it on the saw. I crosscut my pen blanks with my 60 tooth right now but I was thinking of ripping some pre-cut (bought) pen blanks and try my luck at some mediocre segmenting. I was just wondering if the 60 would rip the little 3/4" blocks ok or if a higher tooth blade would be better. Not really sure if I could use a kerf blade on my 3hp tablesaw. I've read they can be a little flimsy at high speeds. ???
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thin kerf blades are made for tablesaws. HP does not mean anything related to speed. full size 60 tooth blade is just fine for ripping and crosscutting. I thought you would want a thin kerf if you were doing celtic knots and cuts like that. You can always incorporate a removable throat plate set up on the jig. Swap it out any time you change thickness blades. So many other factors come into play if doing specific segmenting work and selecting a blade. That is why they make so many variety of blades.

My Photo Album
Old 11-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Thin kerf blades are made for tablesaws. HP does not mean anything related to speed. full size 60 tooth blade is just fine for ripping and crosscutting. I thought you would want a thin kerf if you were doing celtic knots and cuts like that. You can always incorporate a removable throat plate set up on the jig. Swap it out any time you change thickness blades. So many other factors come into play if doing specific segmenting work and selecting a blade. That is why they make so many variety of blades.
Yea I'm far from celtic knots. Lol I think I'll keep with the 60 tooth and see how that works for me. What I meant on the kerf blade was I read that a 220v 3hp tablesaw may be too powerful for a kerf blade as it is flimsy and may have a wandering cut. I have a pretty good size tablesaw and don't need a non-accurate cut. Thanks for the help John!
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
Quote:
Yea I'm far from celtic knots. Lol I think I'll keep with the 60 tooth and see how that works for me. What I meant on the kerf blade was I read that a 220v 3hp tablesaw may be too powerful for a kerf blade as it is flimsy and may have a wandering cut. I have a pretty good size tablesaw and don't need a non-accurate cut. Thanks for the help John!

Not true!!!
A 220v 3HP saw is no faster than a 120 1-3/4HP saw What makes it heavier duty is that it won't bog down when doing heavy cuts. You can always buy a stabiliser plate for the thin kerf blade. This will cut down on height that can be cut but will take any flex out of it. You are cutting simple pen blanks which can be cut with a hand saw. You are not taxing any blades or saw HP for sure.

My Photo Album

Last edited by jttheclockman; 11-14-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not true!!!
A 220v 3HP saw is no faster than a 120 1-3/4HP saw What makes it heavier duty is that it won't bog down when doing heavy cuts. You can always buy a stabiliser plate for the thin kerf blade. This will cut down on height that can be cut but will take any flex out of it. You are cutting simple pen blanks which can be cut with a hand saw. You are not taxing any blades or saw HP for sure.
Johns right on the TS 110 vs. 220. I owned a Jet cabinet saw with a 3hp motor and was 220v. The thing would cut through any thing as long as I had the right blade on it. After to moving off grid I had to switch to a 110v saw that is an old Craftsman from probably the mid 60's. I have probably close to 12 different blades with different tooth count etc. Believe it or not, I now use almost daily a DeWalt combo blade that I got from Amazon. Very thin kerf and it gives nice clean edges. I think it came in a two pack and was under $20.00, for both. At that price I don't resharpen them like my $80.00+ blades but give them to other people that want them. I use my table saw for almost 100% of my blank cutting and use my band saw for re sawing and cut out shaping for my knives.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well I went ahead and bought me a 90 tooth kerf blade. Looks like it will work just fine. Thanks y'all! Actually just put it on. Makes a very nice smooth cut!

Last edited by bsshog40; 11-15-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I went ahead and bought me a 90 tooth kerf blade. Looks like it will work just fine. Thanks y'all! Actually just put it on. Makes a very nice smooth cut!
When you say kerf blade do mean thin kerf blade?? what blade is that?? Freud or some other company??
Here is Freud's

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-10...090X/202786851

My Photo Album
Old 11-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
When you say kerf blade do mean thin kerf blade?? what blade is that?? Freud or some other company??
Here is Freud's

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-10...090X/202786851
Thats the one I bought. The web picture doesn't show all the writing that is on the blade package. Maybe that's why you don't understand what I am typing. The packaging also says it is a kerf blade that cuts at 220 finish. Is there a reason that you question everything that I write? I'm 59 yrs old my friend, I don't need someone to check my grammar. If you are unable to understand what I am typing, please pass by my threads. I appreciate your input John, but I'm tired of your always wanting to correct me. Have a nice day!

Last edited by bsshog40; 11-16-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads