Sweat proff hardware

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Morning,just sitting here boared,had my gallbladder chopped out yesterday and am grounded for a few days. Had hoped the Doc would save it for me,the gravel might have made some neat inlays.:biggrin:
I am thinking about getting some desert camo acrylic and make up a few pens for overseas gifts,since Irak and simular areas are hot and sweaty I'm thinking that T/N gold and black might be the best kits to use,most will be slimline modified and comfort style without the rubber grip.Any other ideas would be appreciated.John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I bet the Patriot kit or whatever flavor of it, Apollo etc would make a good one too. Thicker body on it, shorter, and easier to twist in my opinion. Good luck on the gallbladder. Had mine out in 2005. Make sure to post pics of what you decided on. Chrome kits, or the black titanium would look pretty good. Obviously the titanium would probably hold up better.

glycerine

What exactly do you mean by sweat proof? Hardware that is resistant to pitting because of sweaty hands? Or easier to twist, click, etc. as Todd mentioned?

papNal

What exactly do you mean by sweat proof? Hardware that is resistant to pitting because of sweaty hands? Or easier to twist, click, etc. as Todd mentioned?

When I was in the military and had on all sorts of gear my shirt pockets would get very wet and stinky,and that wasn't in the desert. I just want some kind of finish that would hold up better in that type environment. Hpoefully these pens will be carried and used. Thanks John

glycerine

When I was in the military and had on all sorts of gear my shirt pockets would get very wet and stinky,and that wasn't in the desert. I just want some kind of finish that would hold up better in that type environment. Hpoefully these pens will be carried and used. Thanks John

Oh, ok. Well my hand sweat alot, and I have a rhodium plated jr. gent fountain pen that is showing tiny pits on the nib section. I assume it's getting corroded and pitting because of my sweaty hands. I imagine that you wouldn't go with rhodium anyway...
By the way, I think I still have a box of blanks to send you!

papNal

Thanks everone for your help.I looked at PSIs new pen program and decided that for the first batch I'll try the black t/n and the desert camo.The black looks a lot like the gun metal,but should hold up better in the harsh climate.I'll have to see what folks want. John

MDEdwards

I am currently there as a flyer. Skinny stick pens are what get used. One handed operation and narrow pen pockets are the issue in uniform. I brought some of my own favorite twisters (not slims), but don't carry them for work much. BTW we are already seeing tempeatures around 110F. Jeff's 'Pale Rider' would be a hit. Remember the ladies too. I enjoy following the posts daily, but sure miss my shop.
Michael

seamus7227

I am currently there as a flyer. Skinny stick pens are what get used. One handed operation and narrow pen pockets are the issue in uniform. I brought some of my own favorite twisters (not slims), but don't carry them for work much. BTW we are already seeing tempeatures around 110F. Jeff's 'Pale Rider' would be a hit. Remember the ladies too. I enjoy following the posts daily, but sure miss my shop.
Michael

Michael, I just want to say THANK YOU for everything you are doing over there. I know that the conditions must suck, I did my time at Bragg and Panama(however the heat was nothing like what you deal with in Iraq) but I can sympathize. Hang in there my brotha!

airborne_r6

Michael

Not there now but I recently was and I have to agree with this. Most pens wouldn't fit in the pen pocket on the uniform and the dirt jammed up click pens. I made myself some plain boring straight slimlines to carry in my uniform pocket once I got home and started turning. I am going to make some twist slimlines out of corian for some buddies that are headed back later this year. Those of us down on the ground tend to get a little dirtier than the flyboys. :wink:

papNal

Not there now but I recently was and I have to agree with this. Most pens wouldn't fit in the pen pocket on the uniform and the dirt jammed up click pens. I made myself some plain boring straight slimlines to carry in my uniform pocket once I got home and started turning. I am going to make some twist slimlines out of corian for some buddies that are headed back later this year. Those of us down on the ground tend to get a little dirtier than the flyboys. :wink:

Thanks fellows for the input.do you think that the comfort size pen will be too fat ?I have ordered 10 black T/N comfort kits,but guess I can turn down to slimline size and do a modified CB.Will appreciate any more comments.John

airborne_r6

Thanks fellows for the input.do you think that the comfort size pen will be too fat ?I have ordered 10 black T/N comfort kits,but guess I can turn down to slimline size and do a modified CB.Will appreciate any more comments.John

I am not familiar with the comfort kit, do you have a link?

papNal

I am not familiar with the comfort kit, do you have a link?

The comfort is PSIs name for their kit that has the rubber grip on it,its just a little thicker than the Slimline type.I normally don't use the rubber grip and just turn to shape I want.I think the Saturn,Trimline are all about the same.They are all 7mm tubes.Thanks,John

Fred

papNal ... just remember "easy to get out and easy to get back in" the pocket. Read the current military folk's post for diameter. I do believe the slimline would do fine.

Top Bottom