Swappable/convertible kits??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
All,

Did a search, but nothing clearly what I'm looking for.

I am looking for a kit that is easily swappable between a ballpoint and a fountain tip. Are there any that can be swapped even AFTER they're assembled?

More clearly: Once completed, I want to be able to pull out the ballpoint parts and install fountain parts, without a major disassembly.

Any kits that are designed to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Gregory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Greg,
As far as I know (and that ain't much), the El Grande can be swapped between the RB and FP kits. I don't think you can buy the RB nib by itself, but the FP nibs are available by themselves. I assume (keyword here)that the nibs on the same kits can be swapped out, but you have to buy 1 RB and 1 FP.

Wheaties

To Clarify:

Are you wanting ballpoint to fountain?

or

Are you wanting rollerball to fountain?

Your original post states the first, but I just wanted to be sure after reading some of the responses.

To Clarify:

Are you wanting ballpoint to fountain?

or

Are you wanting rollerball to fountain?

Your original post states the first, but I just wanted to be sure after reading some of the responses.

Good question, but either is fine. i just want to be able to offer the different tips with each sale. Only one tip will go with each pen, but I want them to have the option.
Thanks!

fafow

I just got a rhodium nib holder/nib/feeder from CSUSA for $3.99. They said they had a few there but not many. They don't normally sell just the nib holder, but for some reason they had these. You might try contacting a few vendors and see if they have any nib holders they would be willing to sell separately. I made sure that they knew I wanted metal threads. This nib holder fits the Baron, Jr Gent and I am sure it will fit a number of the other kits with the small nibs. I spoke with Danny Lange at CSUSA.

You can purchase the convertor from Lou and I think at least one of the online vendors sells them as well. AS also sells replacement nibs for the Baron but don't know if that includes the holder or not. The picture shows the nib, holder and feed as one assembly, but I would check first on that.

Last edited:

Russianwolf

unfortunately, if you want matching platings, you'll have to buy both Rollerball and Fountain kits and swap as needed. You can get nibs for FPs that are plastic from Arizona Silhouette I know for both the large and small pens, BUT the quality of the feed may not be as good (I got some from schmidt and wasn't impressed and I'm a newbie at this).

Lou is offering good feeds and housing, but you will have to make your own section to cover the housing. The problem is that the threads on the smaller pens sections is a odd M8.4x1 I think and is hard to find tooling for.

I'm looking at getting some better ones in the better platings, but I'm months away from making a decision on that. Gotta have everything in place first and its a larger quantity than I may be able to use for myself.

JimMc7

Still searching for separate fountain nibs...

+1

Don't the replacement nibs (BHW-701) for the Barons sold by Berea & AS still need a separate holder? The El Grande/Cambridge replacement nib is a direct replacement for the rollerball "nib."

Photo shows the holder which, for the Baron, I can't find a source.

DSCN0086.jpg

Edit to add: I did some more forum searching and apparently no source for only the holder. CSUSA sold a brass or gold plated holder at one time but no longer offers (although may still be some in stock). Looks like buying another kit to get the part is the only option.

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
The Classic American kits can easily be "convertible" In fact, i recently built a closed end convertible that i plan to sell with both nibs assemblies. I did have to buy another kit and "steal" the parts i needed.

FWIW... the nib assembly from a Jr. Gent is the same as the nib Assy. from the Jr. Emp. The only difference is the diameter of the ring that seats against the blank. I am guessing that there will be alot of "Crossover" parts from these kits as they are basically the same size. Just gotta pay attention to the sizing when turning the blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A word to the experimental!!

The baron and Jr. Gent APPEAR to be interchangeable. NOW, put the cap on and see how it works. Sometimes it's pretty good, most of the time, "Not so much". When you unscrew the cap, did the nib stay in the CAP???

I have been trying nibs for years. Some fit, but then, plating color is an issue. SO FAR, I have found no GREAT answer. If you do better, please let me know. I have tried to eliminate many models of pens, to make this easier. It IS better, still not GREAT!

GouletPens

just about any of the 'rollerball' kits with screw caps can be changed out for ballpoint refills, if you want that instead of the rollerball. Just about all of the screw cap kits come in rollerball and fountain versions. Quick and dirty way to get it done would be to buy one of each, and the nib holders should be interchangeable on all the 'like' screw cap kits, at least the ones I've come across. If it's a customer that's asking you about it, the best answer would be 'no, you'll have to buy one of each pen!'.

Russianwolf

If it's a customer that's asking you about it, the best answer would be 'no, you'll have to buy one of each pen!'.

I do this with my pens. If a customer wants both nibs so the pen is interchangible, I provide the one body and the two nibs. I charge them for an entire extra pen kit and I have spare parts for the future.

Now I've only offered this on the Baron/Sedona and Only had one person ask. I did give someone who had never used a fountain a nib to try on his pen, and I may have converted him. :biggrin:

Top Bottom