Surprise Order From Qatar...need advice or shipping and other....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

I called PayPal customer support today because I wanted to better understand their seller protection policy, and try to understand why the customer claims to be verified, but appears not to be to me.

Basically, the customer's foreign address CAN be verified, but in PayPal it indicates the customer does not have a US verified address. I missed that point, but that does not in itself disqualify you from the seller protection program. There's another section on the transaction details Shipping Address:...which was blank. The fact that no valid shipping address was provided is what disqualifies the transaction from the Seller Protection Program.

So putting my former IT hat on I come up with the following: The process of checking out on my website simultaneously creates an account for the customer. When my shopping cart processes the payment via PayPal, the shipping address data that's stored in the customers account is transferred to PayPal. My guess is that because its a foreign address it does not correspond correctly to the US formatted address fields, and therefore did not get transferred to PayPal correctly, thus no shipping address in the PayPal transaction.

I still have an open communication channel with the potential customer, so I need to figure out something else that's a safe bet. I'm wondering if just asking him to send the payment directly via Paypal could work. I don't see a downside for me should he agree.

GaryMGg

One way to protect yourself is to require a Certified Bank Check and delay shipping for several weeks
because that's how long it can take for a problematic one to circle back to your bank--after you've shipped product.
At that point, you're stuck.
Perhaps you should discuss it with your bank manager and find out what their timeline is.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You will also find that when paying with PayPal you if you say you are paying for merchandise you must provide a shipping address or deliberately enter that none is needed (buying down loaded software for instance.).

Timbo

One way to protect yourself is to require a Certified Bank Check and delay shipping for several weeks
because that's how long it can take for a problematic one to circle back to your bank--after you've shipped product.
At that point, you're stuck.
Perhaps you should discuss it with your bank manager and find out what their timeline is.

That's a good idea. I'll definitely consider that. Thanks.

Moosewatcher

Timbo, How about an update on your Qatar experience? I just got ripped off for an order to Kosovo and was curious how you made out. They wait until they get the goods and then file a grevience with the credit card company. This is my third one and I never win the dispute. Am not taking foreign orders or credit cards any longer.

Mike Powell

I think 59 bucks is a little high also. I shipped a 75 pound gorilla case back from Afghanistan through the USPS for 75.00. I think for a grand you should eat the cost. Qatar is a decent place, I spent a week or so on the base there..

Lucky2

Personally, I would not eat the shipping cost, if you do it once you will be expected to do so every time. If this order is legit, you should contact the buyer and explain the issue with shipping. If they are not willing to pay the extra cost for shipping, walk away. Otherwise, your just a pen maker that undersells everyone else to get a sale.
Len

Timbo

Timbo, How about an update on your Qatar experience? I just got ripped off for an order to Kosovo and was curious how you made out. They wait until they get the goods and then file a grevience with the credit card company. This is my third one and I never win the dispute. Am not taking foreign orders or credit cards any longer.

First...I'm sorry to hear that you got ripped off. I's a lousy feeling and no one deserves that.

After a lot of thought I decided not to go through with the deal. It would have been a nice sale for me, but in the end it just wasn't worth the stress.

Quality Pen

Thanks for the update.

Out of curiosity, what did the consumer say? I imagine for such a large order I too would be skeptical, but I would also try to call them and hope we can effectively communicate.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Look Carefully

Before you agree to ship to any foreign country you should look them up at USPS and check the import restrictions - don't assume anything about them from experience selling to buyers in other countries.

Here is a Sample of Qatar Restrictions:

Harmonized Code for the commodity is mandatory, it must be provided on the Commercial Invoice.

A valid Qatar Import License is needed for all importers/recipients. Goods must be listed on their license otherwise shipments will be returned back to origin.

Qatar Import License number of the recipient must be listed on the Commercial Invoice and Air Waybill (Shipping Label).

There are a lot more.....I used Qatar because that was Timbo's original destination.

Last edited:
Top Bottom