Suppliers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdwilliams999

Though I'm afraid that the standard response will be that there are hundreds of reputable suppliers, I was hoping for some guidance regarding online suppliers that offer a decent selection, fair pricing, reasonable level of quality, and reputable. I ordered my first set of supplies from woodturningz and they were very nice, pricing seemed decent, but was extremely unhappy with the pen ink in the slimline gold fancy 24k kits. With spipping costs what they are, I am trying to stick to one or two places. Shipping will kill ya!

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Kit inks are unreliable -- plan on getting a better quality refill to go with the pen.

There are not hundreds of suppliers -- several handsfull and not all carry the same things.

The only one I have steered away from is Steelbar - based on past pain.

I suggest you try them one at a time --- but experiment with different styles and approaches. Chrome is a good durable utility finish while you are learning what you prefer.

Last edited:

Matt8643

For pen kits I use PSI and I have been happy with their kits so far. As far as blanks go there are great looking blanks here on the forums. I have bought from El Mostro, Ankromexotics and randbcrafts-all of them provided me with amazing blanks.

nativewooder

I really don't think you can go wrong if you look at the top of the page and click on "Links", and then click the "Vendors" list. They are all supporters of IAP and carry good products and have good customer service. Try it, you'll like it!!!:biggrin:

AKPenTurner

I'd agree. Check out the vendors here...
There's always the big suppliers: CSUSA, PSI, Berea Hardwoods etc... But you have to pick and choose with them as well. I'm not a big fan of some of PSI's cheaper kits...

I agree with KenV, check em out, and you'll find what you like.

ctubbs

+1 for Exotic Blanks. Ed and Dawn are going to be hard to beat. Also give Smitty a shot. He has some good prices on bulk buys. For CA, you can not beat Montie, best prices, quality and service. Johniecnc has bushings and TBC equipment. Golly, it is nearly 2am here and my feeble mind just went blank. I know I have left out many great vendors here.
Charles

Fibonacci

I placed orders with ExoticBlanks, Woodnwhimsies, CSUSA, and Indy-Pen-Dance this week.

Each company has their own specialty and stock. Based on previous orders, I would not hesitate to order from any of them. I particularly recommend ExoticBlanks and Indy-Pen-Dance. They really take customer service to the next level.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Welcome to the IAP.. You have definitely come to the right place.

As for your question about ink/shipping - Mike&Linda from IPD (just above) and Ed & Dawn from exoticblanks are very active online vendors here and are committed to helping keep things great for us penturners. Ed just recently polled to understand customers needs for shipping. They are both sources for ink and many other items. There is some other vendors that are here too, but I believe that they are the most commonly posting here - so you will see a lot of support for them (and rightly so IMO).

However, its also a great idea to stick around and check out our other vendors in the classifieds sections. There is a ton of things that you can find here that will be less than other places even with shipping in it! We have a ton of great smaller specialized "vendors" here.... people that make specific things for our additions.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

And keep asking questions!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What are you buying?

Though I'm afraid that the standard response will be that there are hundreds of reputable suppliers, I was hoping for some guidance regarding online suppliers that offer a decent selection, fair pricing, reasonable level of quality, and reputable. I ordered my first set of supplies from woodturningz and they were very nice, pricing seemed decent, but was extremely unhappy with the pen ink in the slimline gold fancy 24k kits. With spipping costs what they are, I am trying to stick to one or two places. Shipping will kill ya!

There are a lot of places - blanks -watch the classifieds and trades here and you'll see a lot of variety offered at pretty good prices; high end kits - there are not a lot of suppliers but there are several good ones they offer a lot of choices; popular priced kits - several suppliers who offer pretty good kits at very fair prices and offer excellent service, but you'll need to find the one who best meets your needs; supplies - that will depend on what you want to do, there are vendors here who specialize in one or two kinds of materials that you might want. Find out who they are and try them, most offer good prices and good service.

Here are a couple of things to do to help pick the right vendor for you.
1) Check the vendor's prices make sure they are in line with other vendors selling the same things. There are at least a half dozen vendors (large and small) who offer "the lowest pen kit prices anywhere" take that with a grain of salt, their prices are usually no lower than anyone elses.
2) Ask about return policies, most will offer full return but most will put a time limit on returns. With many you will be responsible for return shipping.
3) Check their shipping time - most of the smaller vendors and some of the big guys go out of their way to get your shipment out the door quickly.
4) Check how they do special requests - if you don't see exactly the package you want, ask if they have it or if they'll handle a special request.
5) Check how they respond to your emails, PMs or phone calls. Good ones will reply to every contact, regardless of what you're asking about.

You'll find that a number of the smaller vendors who, if they don't have what you want, will point you to someone who does.

Last edited:

Finatic

I have had only one problem with a member vendor. I had paid for an offered Priority mailing, and my order got sent first class and took three weeks. I questioned the vendor and never got an answer as to why and if this was a common business practice. I have not ordered from this individual since, nor do I intend to unless I at least get some satisfaction. Too bad, I would have spent a lot of money with this guy.
Russ

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yep

With spipping costs what they are, I am trying to stick to one or two places. Shipping will kill ya!

We have a solution to that with our $1 shipping in the US and Canada.

How to best price shipping is the most frustrating part of being a vendor, in my opinion. You and I are close to the same, I do most of mine free, you do yours with a nominal cost (I haven't figured out why you don't just make it free - but that's none of my concern) but that means my prices look higher than some of my competition when in reality for most buyers I'm a little lower priced. You have to be faced with the same situation.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Somewhat

Kit inks are unreliable -- plan on getting a better quality refill to go with the pen.

There are not hundreds of suppliers -- several handsfull and not all carry the same things.

The only one I have steered away from is Steelbar - based on past pain.

I suggest you try them one at a time --- but experiment with different styles and approaches. Chrome is a good durable utility finish while you are learning what you prefer.

It often depends somewhat on how long that kit has been in stock at the vendor. When my kits arrive from my supplier the refills are usually very reliable but over time they become less so. I could specify better refills in my kits but the cost would more than double the cost of the low end kits, could I double the selling price - not a chance.

IPD_Mr

With spipping costs what they are, I am trying to stick to one or two places. Shipping will kill ya!

How to best price shipping is the most frustrating part of being a vendor, in my opinion. You and I are close to the same, I do most of mine free, you do yours with a nominal cost (I haven't figured out why you don't just make it free - but that's none of my concern) but that means my prices look higher than some of my competition when in reality for most buyers I'm a little lower priced. You have to be faced with the same situation.

LeRoy,
Like you we eat a LOT of shipping. However, most of our orders are shipped via First Class Mail. Small orders of refills or nibs do not weigh much so those are minimal losses. Many people want to order small amounts and not $100+ $5 shipping on a $100+ order is not bad, but on a $10 order it sucks. Customers are not dumb. They know that $.50 more on a kit with little to no shipping is cheaper than $.50 less with $5.00+ shipping. Basically our $1.00 shipping is meant to help cover the cost of special order packaging. We use a lot of indestructo mailing boxes and padded envelopes since we are shipping via First Class. Our biggest hit is with our Canadian shipments. We have a great history with our Canadian customers at our hardware store. Because of the great rapport we have with them we go out of our way to make their purchases easier and more affordable than most US vendors. Besides they deserve some compensation for dealing with that cold weather. :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Canada

LeRoy,
Like you we eat a LOT of shipping. However, most of our orders are shipped via First Class Mail. Small orders of refills or nibs do not weigh much so those are minimal losses. Many people want to order small amounts and not $100+ $5 shipping on a $100+ order is not bad, but on a $10 order it sucks. Customers are not dumb. They know that $.50 more on a kit with little to no shipping is cheaper than $.50 less with $5.00+ shipping. Basically our $1.00 shipping is meant to help cover the cost of special order packaging. We use a lot of indestructo mailing boxes and padded envelopes since we are shipping via First Class. Our biggest hit is with our Canadian shipments. We have a great history with our Canadian customers at our hardware store. Because of the great rapport we have with them we go out of our way to make their purchases easier and more affordable than most US vendors. Besides they deserve some compensation for dealing with that cold weather. :)
Until recently Shipping to Canada for 1 ounce parcel rate was cheaper than shipping to USA because the minimum rate for first class parcel was 2 ounces $1.58 one ounce to Canada was $1.49. Recent changes let one ounce go in the US for $1.41 and I think Canadian went up. I do ship some First Class to Canada. But usually I have to work postage with them because I usually need to go Priority Mail and there's a big difference in price so I can't include it.

happydadto5

I just received my second order from Wood-n-whimsies. Last night, I got a "refund" notice from them. Figuring that they didn't have an item, I opened the e-mail to figure out what I wasn't getting. To my surprise, it was a refund of half of my shipping. They were able to get all my order to fit in in a small size box so they charged me 1/2 the shipping cost. What company still gives this kind of service? I thought it was worth a mention on the forum.

I've had no issue with the 1/2 dozen pens I got from them on my first order. Seem to be comparable quantity to those I've bought at Woodcraft.

Texatdurango

....... I was hoping for some guidance regarding online suppliers that offer a decent selection, fair pricing, reasonable level of quality, and reputable. ......Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

You mentioned poor ink, that is common amongst kit refills especially with fountain pen cartridges. When it comes to refills of just about any type, I turn to....
http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Inks-and-Cartridges/ I hate comparing prices everytime I want to order something so I shopped refill prices several months ago and no one could touch their prices, most couldn't come close, even the larger vendors so they are my "go to" vendor of choice for anything ink related.

When it comes to kits and blanks, Ernie seems to have really cheap prices and is running sales all the time.
http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/

ren-lathe

I just received my second order from Wood-n-whimsies. Last night, I got a "refund" notice from them. Figuring that they didn't have an item, I opened the e-mail to figure out what I wasn't getting. To my surprise, it was a refund of half of my shipping. They were able to get all my order to fit in in a small size box so they charged me 1/2 the shipping cost. What company still gives this kind of service? I thought it was worth a mention on the forum.

I've had no issue with the 1/2 dozen pens I got from them on my first order. Seem to be comparable quantity to those I've bought at Woodcraft.

The folks there always make sure you only pay for actual shipping cost. I buy from them as often as I can

clapiana

regarding your comment on slimline inks are you talking about the quality or the flow of the ink? a ballpoint laying down ink compared to a roller ball is night and day.

regarding vendors... depending on what you want to do will point you towards different vendors. service and shipping costs are key in my eyes.

pen kits

smitty penworks - fantastic service, very fast free shipping, excellent prices on TN pen kits.

Woodnwhimsies - very friendly people with great shipping on PSI products. i go to them before checking on the PSI site. this site has nice monthly specials too.

blanks

IAP classifieds - located here on this site offers top notch stuff.
exotic blanks - very cool stuff that is hard to find.
Indy-Pen-Dance - i have made a few purchases and these guys look good too. $1 shipping has my interest.
hut industries - monthly specials on blanks now and then.
ebay - keep an eye on the turning section to find some good buys.
rockler - my local store has a blank bargin bin which i always check when i visit.

i have had 2 incidents which turned me off:

#1 - i purchased $200 + plus of stuff off a vendor who did not include a bushing i purchased. i contacted him and he said look again....$3 cost this guy a customer.

#2 - i placed a large order with a place in NJ which sells clock parts and PSI items. this place doesnt understand customer service at all. no communications at all from start to finish. i did not even get an email of my order. what a nightmare and to top it off i never got a back ordered item.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

Craig, I need to clarify, that we do not sell pen kits (yet :eek::biggrin:).

We are mainly inks, nibs, refills, blanks, CA, and a bunch of other little things that help when turning.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Good catch I updated above and moved you under blanks

Good luck getting that list right :biggrin:
At least 3 of your blank vendors (Hut, exotic blanks and rockler also carry kits).

But it does give me an interesting idea for a "vendor" matrix that would be really useful for beginners... But like your list, the maintenance could be a nightmare!

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
It's Indy-Pen-Dance for me for anything I need that they carry. Not only do I get good product, I get "delivered to my door" service. Of course that's on the night they come by for deep dish pizza or baked ham or:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Yep, they're my kids and I'm partial, but you won't find fairer service anywhere. As fair? perhaps. I've had good results with Wood-n-Whimsey, Johnny CNC, Berea, and others. I've kinda found Who I like What from. For Private Reserve ink, (replace all generic, comes with the kit, ink), CA, Novus, and the little miscellaneous items, you can't beat IPD

clapiana

alphageek said:
Good luck getting that list right :biggrin:
At least 3 of your blank vendors (Hut, exotic blanks and rockler also carry kits).

But it does give me an interesting idea for a "vendor" matrix that would be really useful for beginners... But like your list, the maintenance could be a nightmare!

True but I don't get kits from those other follks under the area i named "blanks" :) I guess I should also mention PSI under pen kits..... so it's off again haha
Alphageek so when do I get to see that matrix you are creating?<wink>
Blessings
Craig

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Top Bottom