Super small branding iron?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mpex

Thinking of 'signing' my pens. I would like to have a branding iron made that would be super small of my initials. The brand would actually be my signed initials mimicking my handwriting. Is there a way to get something like that which would be around 1/8" square.

And ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I made one for a project a few years back by getting a piece of brass rod that fit in my soldering iron, hammering the end flat, and carving a negative of my design into it.

It was a huge amount of work, but only cost a few dollars.

Nowadays you could get basically the same thing by turning a piece of brass rod to fit both ends and either carving the end or having it milled.

MIcrostamping

Gentlemen,

Might what the present federal administration is trying to do with the bullet component of ammunition be what you have in mind?

I'll do a bit of research and hopefully get back on this.

Charlie

Micro metal stamping---found something.

Everyone,

After a bit of a search this is what I was able to turn up. Just attaching a link. Do not believe this will work on many pen styles.

About.com: Do more..

In case this link doesn't work. I researched "Micro metal stamping jewelry" on Google.

Hope this gets someone on the right track or answers a question.

Charlie

mpex

From Microstamp:

Hello

You can heat up the Makers Mark stamp to burn wood without damaging it. It does not come with a handle.

Sincerely,

Bill Divine
Microstamp

switch62

Just thinking out loud :)

How about using BradG's etching method on a piece of aluminium or brass. Depends how deep the etching needs to be, and if it can be done without too much undercutting. Or do an initial etch and then deepen it with a Dremel and fine milling bit. You could also apply a paint on resist(nail polish or paint ?) to the sides of the etch and then re-etch to get a deeper etch without undercutting.

You could even insert it into a simple soldering iron if it is made from a rod of the right diameter. Or make a bugle shaped piece so one end fits into the soldering iron, the other would give you a round stamp. If you don't want round it can be filed rectangular, or any shape you want.

Hope that made sense.

Attachments

• 80WSolderIRN.jpg
    80WSolderIRN.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 226

azamiryou

Just about any jewelry supplier can make you a stamp with anything you want on it. These are designed for stamping metal. They are made of steel, would be easy to heat and use that way. It could lose its temper from heating, but that only matters if you plan to use it to stamp metal - not an issue if you're just using it as a brand.

You'd probably want to add a handle.

You could heat it with a torch if you have one, but failing that I'm sure an alcohol lamp or even a lighter would work.

A couple possible sources:
http://www.riogrande.com
http://www.ijsinc.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/oiseaumetalarts <= this is an individual artist who does really nice work (check his sold orders to see some stamps). I'm not sure, but I think his prices are better than the jewelry suppliers. I wish I'd known about him when I ordered my logo stamp! Because you'd be dealing with an individual, he could probably make it deeper for you so you don't have to worry about the "background" showing up in your mark.

Because it's a custom item, you won't be able to order off the web site, you'll have to call. Cost will depend on the design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom