Sumo Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I haven't heard of it, is it a polyurethane like Gorilla Glue?? My evolution of glues for bonding the brass tubes has been CA glue in the beginning then I moved on to Gorilla Glue after some CA failures and finally all I use now is 2 part epoxy.
Gary

Nick

Glue

Gary,
Sumo is a poly, like Gorilla, It is billed as less "foaming" I bought a tube and just finished gluing 8 blanks. So far it seems he same as Gorilla. There is less foaming. I will turn the blanks tomorrow to see how it works.
Nick

I never had any failures with Gorilla Glue, I did have the foaming action push a few tubes out of the blanks by just a fraction of an inch, but no big deal. Let us know how it works for you..........
Gary

workinforwood

I use sumo or gorilla, depends which one the wife grabs at the store. I prefer it over CA, seems to hold better if the pen gets a shock like hitting the floor, which can break a CA bond. I also like the fact I can put a tube in the pen without rushing..and if there is, although it doesn't happen often to me anymore, but an elongated hole will just fill up with gorilla/sumo glue. It is my glue of choice, especially inside a segmented pen. A drop of CA inside the pen after gluing with gorilla, will stop the tube from moving during expansion.

jedgerton

I've used it for some time now and it works great. The only caution I have (and it goes for all polyurethane glues) is that on nearly tranlucent acrylics, it shows through no matter what color you paint the tubes. I've yet to try painting the inside of my blanks but that may be the solution.

John

Nick

I mixed a small amount of Sumo with a blue metalic powder, It mixed well. I then applied the mixture to two pieces of wood and clamped together. Stay tuned for the results after it sets up in the morning.
I had glued blanks last night (with Sumo) and turned the pens today. IMHO, it does foam less than Gorilla Glue and what does foam, appears more dense and harder than Gorilla glue.
On one blank, I did a deliberate "catch" and the glue held the wood to the tube. My thought is if the blue powder does not effect the glue and my test joint holds, this could be a way to color tubes and glue tube to the blank when using Acrylic.

rickstef

I picked up two 6oz bottles of Sumo at Lowes, when they were clearancing it out, $3.24 a bottle, good score in my opinion

and I have used it on wood and the non wood I turn, I have not had a joint fail, which resulted in me having to reglue the tube in, with Thick CA, Gorilla Glue, and Elmer's Nano(same thing but with a bull on the package) I have had to reglue the tube.

I am sticking with Sumo(pun intended)

Rick

Nick

This morning I tried to break apart the two pieces of wood that I glued together with "tinted Sumo glue", the wood piece broke, the glue joint held and did not fail.
My thought on tinting the glue with the powder should work on the tubes when gluing to Acrylic blanks to hide the tubes. I was out of Acrylic blanks and could not try it to confirm.
Hope this has been some usefull information that everyone can use in their work.

spitfire

Nick,
Thanks for the info. I don't like using epoxy with paint because it gets stringy, I also don't like to paint the blanks because it makes the hole to small and hard to get the tubes in. I picked up some sumo this weekend and have some blanks tro glue up. I will report back with my results as well.

Nick

The tinting powder came from Michaels. I had tossed out the packaging and there is no markings on the jars. As I remember, they came in a set of various colors. Jars are 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" tall. A small amount goes a long way.

spitfire

I do castings so I have powder. I will be using pearlx powders from Michaels. i would imagine it would work the same as your powders.

Top Bottom