Suicidal Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

<rant>
I have a cigar pen that keeps trying to commit suicide! I put a lacquer finish on it but the finish wasn't fully cured when I put it in the pen box. The finish stuck to the inside of the pen box. The burl is a beauty so I decided to salvage the pen.

Just punch the fittings out and refinish; yea right! Punch out the lower tube; OK. Punch out the finial; OK. Now push out the CB. What the? the brass tube came out! The blank didn't split or show any defects, so re-glue in the tube. Guess how far I managed to get the tube into the blank before the CA kicked? If you said less than completely, you win the prize!

OK; I cut off the end of the protruding end of the brass tube, and glued it into the other end of the tube.

Now I'm ready to either:
1. Smash the pen with a fist maul!:mad::curse:
or
2. Start refinishing:bananen_smilies051:

I'll let you know how it turns out!
</rant>

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Randy,
I know how you feel. I had a pen that all it wanted to be was dust and shavings. With everything I did, there was an equal and opposite reaction. Keep up the good fight.

Bree

SMASH IT!!
Don't forget the PIX!!
Your fans want to know!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

artistwood

Dont give up randy......YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

or if it really upsets you........send me the offending, turned, ready to finish blank and i will dispose of it in a manner befitting a blank of that quality....:smile-big::smile-big::smile-big::smile-big:

rjwolfe3

Been there. I was thinking of putting up padded walls to catch all my mistakes when they "accidentally on purpose" go airborne. All ways seems to happen when I am under some kind of stress and it just adds to it, lol.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Put it in some visegrips and squeeze it into submission. If you don't teach it who the boss is in your shop, you will have all the pens revolting and causing caos in your shop. I saw this happen at the school once and it wasn't pretty. :eek::biggrin:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well Randy, I've been there more than once.
Saved one.

As the saying goes, "Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

workinforwood

It's a bad week to be penturning unless you have A/C. It is especially pretty much pointless to do any finishing when it's 110% humidity outside. I'd punch out the parts, soak the blank in acetone and pull out the tube. Set it off to the side..order or get some new tubes and epoxy them in. Toss the PIA barrels in the drawer for some other time.

randyrls

Now I'm ready to either:
1. Smash the pen with a fist maul or Start refinishing

I'll let you know how it turns out!

OK Turned out rather well

1_PEN_359.jpg

Top Bottom