Suggestions for thin gold line blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr_N

I'm trying to make a set of pens for a friend who is a police officer (thin blue line) and for his wife who is a dispatcher (thin gold line). Thin blue and red line blanks are readily available, but I cannot find a gold one anywhere. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything along this line, or had suggestions on a way to create something. I had thought of buying sheet acrylic and try laminating the gold with black resin, but have only found yellow acrylic sheet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

I'm trying to make a set of pens for a friend who is a police officer (thin blue line) and for his wife who is a dispatcher (thin gold line). Thin blue and red line blanks are readily available, but I cannot find a gold one anywhere. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything along this line, or had suggestions on a way to create something. I had thought of buying sheet acrylic and try laminating the gold with black resin, but have only found yellow acrylic sheet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just make an image of what you want then send it to Penkitmall.com. He will print the image and encase it in clear alumilite (I think it was alumilite) for $12 + shipping. I did that with the camo one in the pic, the customer wanted a specific type of camo so I just had her send me a pic of what she wanted.

Attachments

• DSC_0227.jpg
    DSC_0227.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 236

Dr_N

Just make an image of what you want then send it to Penkitmall.com. He will print the image and encase it in clear alumilite (I think it was alumilite) for $12 + shipping. I did that with the camo one in the pic, the customer wanted a specific type of camo so I just had her send me a pic of what she wanted.
I didn't realize they would do that. I may look into going that route, thanks.

Dr_N

I do label cast blanks and could make you one.
Thank you, I checked out some of your blanks in your Facebook page and they look great. This may be an option too.

Also, I saw you had a Vietnam ribbon blank. Would it be possible to do a Korean war army ribbon? I may think about that for my grandfather for Christmas.

m4skinner

I do label cast blanks and could make you one.
Thank you, I checked out some of your blanks in your Facebook page and they look great. This may be an option too.

Also, I saw you had a Vietnam ribbon blank. Would it be possible to do a Korean war army ribbon? I may think about that for my grandfather for Christmas.

message sent.

magpens

Suggest brass sheet (shim ?) 3/32" thick if decide to laminate the blank yourself. Would need CA or lacquer coat. . I think 1/8" would be a little too thick aesthetically (depends on pen diameter).

Not to contradict Kyle, but I think you would not have any trouble using sharp tools, and carbide would do it also (round cutter). RPM about 1200-1500. I have done similar things. . Sorry no pics. avail.

I hope when you get this done you will do a show-and-tell, please.

stuckinohio

Here are a couple samples of label blanks that Tom (M4Skinner) has done for me. He has done several for me. He does very nice work.

I used to use actual segmented blanks that I made of black and light blue alumilite which were very nice, but people always want to personalize. Well, I had a local person engraving for me at $17 a blank, which was pretty good, but he was making more profit per pen than I was and I had hours of work into each blank. Plus, once you engrave and color fill I always felt like I had to CA coat over the top so the color fill won't chip out or get dirty...

Attachments

• label pens.jpg
    label pens.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Charlie_W

Search online for brass tape or brass strip. You may be able to add or inset a strip on both sides of a turned blank which is smaller than finish size and then cast clear over the whole piece and then do your final turn.

Just a thought!

Top Bottom