Suggestions for a mid-range postable fountain pen kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'd like your recommendations for a quality mid-priced ($20-30) fountain pen kit. I'd like it to be postable (threaded) and not from PSI (i'm not thrilled with them).

If you have a good seller that fits the above qualifications, let me know!

THanks in advance!

Gregory of Sherwood Forest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Last edited:

les-smith

Either the Jr. Statesman or the Jr. Gent from CSUSA. Both are good kits. Go with the Jr. Gent if you want something a bit more plain looking, the Jr. Statesman if you want something a bit flashier.

Both are right around your price range, the Jr. Gent is cheaper. Both come as postable.

Jr. Gent: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...ntlemen_s_II_Pen_Kit___jr_gent_2_smooth?Args=

Jr. Statesman:http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...t__Postable_Cap___jr_statesman_threaded?Args=

Ditto. I agree. Also, they are easy to convert from rollerball to FP anytime you want. You just have to buy a FP nib assyembly.

Texatdurango

Ditto. I agree. Also, they are easy to convert from rollerball to FP anytime you want. You just have to buy a FP nib assyembly.
Les, I don't think so. Last I looked if you wanted to convert a Jr Statesman rollerball to a fountain pen you had to buy another whole kit and swap out nibs.

Every now and then in a thread like this, someone says to call Craft Supply and they would probably sell you just the plated section but they have NEVER offered me that option and I've bought tons of kits from them.

There may be "thread compatible" fountain front sections available but you won't find any that have plating to match the rest of the kit.

Gregory, I too agree that in this price range the Jr. Statesman kit #050-2329 at $31.99 ($23.99 in a group buy) would be really hard to beat!

les-smith

I stand corrected.

George, your right. I went out and looked at my stuff and what I can't find is any extra outer housings for the nib assemblies. I've bought the nib assemblies from AA, but I don't think I have ever bought any nib assemblies that included the outer plated housing, and it doesn't look like anyone sells them. I've always had both types of kits on hand, so that would explain being able to swap out a rollerball with a fountain nib. So, Gregory, it looks like your going to have to get both kits to be able switch from one to the next. But both the Jr. Gent and the Jr. Statesmen are great mid-range kits that several vendors carries and they are fun to build. Thanks for the correction George.

Last edited:
Top Bottom