Suggestions for getting started on a budget?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgreen

Originally posted by blodal
<br />I bought the Wilton lathe. I have turned about 8 pens so far. I am pleased with it. I guess you got the word on the 60 degree live center for the tail stock.

Good luck. I am really enjoying turning pens.

Did you add a 60 degree live stock or is the included stock 60 degrees? I honestly haven't taken it out of the box yet (nothing to do with it yet :p), so I can't say that I know one way or the other.

Dario, again, is an amazingly nice guy and very very generous. I have a mandrel on order and hopefully everything times out OK so I will turn my first pen next weekend... can't wait!

blodal

This was from Randy:

"Does your list of tools include a 60° live center for the tailstock?? This is one thing that new pen crafters frequently overlook and are generally note advised about until they already have a problem. The live center that comes with "MOST" wood lathes is designed to be used with wood, strangely enough; but will most likely give you all sorts of trouble if mated with the steel mandrel required for pen turning."

I bought mine from Penn State Ind. for about $20.00. The one that comes with the Wilton is not a 60°.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom