suggestions for gent screwup?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KP

Folks -

I managed to screw up the assembly of a nice olive gentleman's pen. I hadn't used this kit in a few years, so it was essentially like a first time. Anyhow, I put the nib coupler in without that little metal ring, so the end of the wood is exposed. I was doing it in the order given in the instructions, so the end cap is already on the other end.

So, any ideas on a fix? I know folks use the HF punch set for disassembling pens, but I'm not sure I understand how, and in any case I don't have one (although I never am averse to getting a new tool).

The only idea I had was to use a dremel to make the center hole of the ring a bit bigger so it'd slide over the nib coupler threads, and then use a drop of epoxy to hold it in place to prevent it coming back off. However, I can easily see that the dremel might just ruin the ring, as it's going to be hard to hold it and grind it out just a bit.

The pen is to be a gift. A tiny imperfection, although it'd bother me, is likely to never be noticed or cared about by this particular recipient.

All ideas welcome. Now, I'm going to go and kick myself in the rear a few times for screwing up a nice pen at the final step.

Thanks -

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

You can disassemble it pretty easily. Unscrew the nib holder, leaving you with a hole that goes clear down to the bottom. Unscrew the overcap on the bottom too, this way it won't get scratched. Find the biggest HF punch that fits through that hole, and slide it all the way down 'till it touches the bottom. Grasp the pen barrel VERY firmly, and give the exposed end of the punch a few good whacks. As you see the end piece start to move forward, sit down and point the end toward you - the ends have a tendency to go flying, and at least you're more likely to find it if it lands in your lap or bounces off of you first. You can also get down close to the floor or a work bench, or do it over an open baggie, but that's not as much fun. Once you've knocked that bottom piece out, get the biggest HF punch that fits through the opening in the bottom - that new punch will allow you to repeat the process, this time knocking out the threaded coupler for the nib assembly. Just remember to add the trim ring before you reassemble! [:D]

EDIT - BTW, this can all be done without the HF punches, by making your own hardwood dowels to fit. However, the HF punches are about $10, and if you live near a store, its probably still going to cost you less in time and gas than it will to turn the dowels. Plus, the HF set gives you a nice range of sizes, so you can disassmble a wide variety of pens. Not that you'll ever need to, of course, but in theory...

Texatdurango

Another thought. I forgot to put a spring into a closed end Jr Gent so there was no end to punch out. I found a tap which screwed into the nib holder then applied gentle pressure, and luckily the nib holder came right out and no damage to the threads.

I would look to see if you have a tap that will thread down into the nib holder and try that if you have no punches handy.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />Another thought. I forgot to put a spring into a closed end Jr Gent so there was no end to punch out. I found a tap which screwed into the nib holder then applied gentle pressure, and luckily the nib holder came right out and no damage to the threads.

I would look to see if you have a tap that will thread down into the nib holder and try that if you have no punches handy.

George,
Are you saying the nib thread was a STANDARD thread size?????????

If so, our suppliers are slipping or Frank has finally made his point!!!

If not, however, a "close" fit when pulled upon could "strip" the threads. Be careful how much pressure you apply.

No, I don't have a better idea (other than the HF punches which I use frequently - just to test them, I never NEED them) so yes, I should "shut up". But I didn't!

jtate

Those Harbor Freight punch sets ROCK! (as the kids say). I have three sets of them cause I keep losing one or more of the sizes I use a lot.

GaryMGg

I still haven't gotten down to HF to buy the punches, but when I've had to disassemble a Baron -- same basic construction -- I've dropped a tightly fitting washer into the barrel. The nice thing is the punch size is less critical.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I haven't had to disassemble a Gentlemen's pen (yet). But on the pen's I have disassembled I found Allen wenches also work.

gmcnut

Mid to late July would be a good time to pick up a couple of sets of these transfer punches since they are on sale!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25128

KP

Thanks, all. I tried the disassembly, and am surprised how easy the parts come out, considering the force to push them in. The end cap took all of 15 sec to knock out - I used my largest nail set for that.

I had to scrounge around to find something of the right size for the coupler, but I found something and it's halfway out. It was a bit too small, though, and was sort of embedding itself a bit in the coupler, so I stopped, and will look around for something else.

One further question, is there any need for anything extra to hold the parts in when I put them back? Does the in and out stuff make them loose?

I had thought about getting the punch set from Lee Valley when I made an order a few weeks back, but didn't. Figures. It'll be in my next order...very soon.

Ken

KP

I guess I gloated a bit too soon. The coupler refused to move any farther out, even with a perfectly sized allen wrench serving as my punch. Following a basic rule of tools, I got a bigger hammer, and hit harder....which resulted in the entire tube exiting the blank, with the coupler still stuck halfway out.

Fortunately, I had a few extra Gent tubes. So I cut the coupler out of the old tube (a little judicious dremel cutting wheel usage), and glued a new tube into the blank, very careful to keep the epoxy off the nice finished surface.

In a day or two I'll have to clean off the ends a bit, but hopefully then can reassemble and will have saved a nice pen. Lotta work, though.

Thanks again folks.

Ken

JimGo

Locktite (or is it loctite?) blue has been recommended for helping secure the kit components - it CAN be broken free if need be, but holds pretty securely on its own.

smoky10

A drop of medium or thick CA glue will hold the parts in place, just don't put the pen in a pouch or tube for a couple of days because the fumes can do damage to the plating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom