Suggestions for chucks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalden

I've been very satisfied with my current set-up for drilling blanks, which involves a delta variable speed drill press and a Paul Huffman vice, with one exception. When Im drilling segmented blanks where the two materials are of different densities, and I'm drilling in line with the seam, the bit tends to wander into the softer material a little more. I can start with an entrance hole that is dead on, and have it exit off center with the shift into the softer material. I've even tried this with 4 blanks back to back, rotating the orientation of the blank 90 degrees in the vise each time, and seen the variance follow the blank through this positioning, so I'm convinced it's not a small misalignment of the table/vise setup being plumb to the quill of the drill press. That said, I've seen many posts where folks have discussed that they drill on their lathes, using a jacobs chuck in the tail stock and some other type of chuck in the head stock that holds the blank. So my question, what are some of the better options for a chuck that doen't cost an arm and a leg? I bought a technatool chuck at woodcraft, but the jaws on it don't provide enough surface to hold a blank well. Are there different jaws I should be looking at for this chuck, or should I be looking at a different chuck entirely? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A collet chuck is a good option. I use the Beall. Whatever size you make your blank, turn it between centers until the appropriate size collet clamps it tightly. I use a 3/4" collet most of the time.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Collet chuck is the best solution IMO. Turn blank between centers so it fits in a 3/4" collet. I always start critical holes with a centering bit that can be bought in sets for about $5. 800Watt on ebay is lowest cost for collet chuck.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Your current chuck should work. I have a Supernova II and I use mine all the time with the standard jaws it comes with. Here's how:

Mark the center of your blank and then open the jaws on your chuck as far as the will go. Insert the blank in between the jaw centers and lightly tighten them up. Now bring up your drill bit and center the mark on the end of the blank with your bit and tighten the jaws nice and tight. Drill away! Here are a couple of pics to better illustrate.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• DSC09132.jpg
    DSC09132.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC09133.jpg
    DSC09133.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 266

VisExp

Lyle

I drill all my segmented blanks and most of my non-segmented blanks on the lathe.

I turn the blanks between center to 3/4" round. When I am getting close to 3/4" round I just hold a 3/4" wrench on the blank as I'm turning, when it drops over the blank I know the blank is 3/4" round. I just use a rounghing gouge doing this.

After cutting the blanks to size I mount them in a PSI collet chuck. I have no idea how it compares to a Beall as I've never used a Beall, however I have been very happy with the PSI Collet chuck.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html

Before drilling I use a Center drill to start the hole.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=369-1810

Drilling on the lathe is a bit slower than drilling on a drill press but far more precise.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I do just what Curtis said (and showed) with the exception that I bought a
set of 'soft jaws' for the chuck. I think they were about $15.

It's a set of nylon jaws, and you cut them to your own preferred size with
a skew or a scraper while turning. So you turn your own jaws. Doesn't matter
how, because you're actually going IN BETWEEN the jaws, using the inside
edge of the jaw to help keep the blank aligned. I just like the soft jaws for
this because the regular jaws can mark up a blank. (even though you'll turn
that part away later..) The soft jaws are a little deeper, too (perhaps 1") so
it gives you more stability.

ok, so the real reason is that I'm lazy. I just haven't taken the jaws off :biggrin:

Here's a pic of the soft jaws as I was just starting to cut them.

Attachments

• SoftJaws.jpg
    SoftJaws.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

rherrell

I have one of those 4 jaw chucks and it scares me to death every time I have to use it. I guess they're alright for bowls but with small things like pen blanks I'm afraid of those odd shaped protrusions spinning at 3000 rpm SOOOO close to my knuckles!
No such worries with a Beall, the smooth exterior is VERY forgiving.:wink::biggrin:

Rifleman1776

I do just what Curtis said (and showed) with the exception that I bought a
set of 'soft jaws' for the chuck. I think they were about $15.

It's a set of nylon jaws, and you cut them to your own preferred size with
a skew or a scraper while turning. So you turn your own jaws. Doesn't matter
how, because you're actually going IN BETWEEN the jaws, using the inside
edge of the jaw to help keep the blank aligned. I just like the soft jaws for
this because the regular jaws can mark up a blank. (even though you'll turn
that part away later..) The soft jaws are a little deeper, too (perhaps 1") so
it gives you more stability.

ok, so the real reason is that I'm lazy. I just haven't taken the jaws off :biggrin:

Here's a pic of the soft jaws as I was just starting to cut them.

I have never seen those. Where did you get them/it?

I have one of those 4 jaw chucks and it scares me to death every time I have to use it. I guess they're alright for bowls but with small things like pen blanks I'm afraid of those odd shaped protrusions spinning at 3000 rpm SOOOO close to my knuckles!
No such worries with a Beall, the smooth exterior is VERY forgiving.:wink::biggrin:

Don't drill at 3000 rpm... I go down to about 600 to drill blanks... doesn't knock the knuckles off so badly at that speed.....LOL

rherrell

I don't use it for drilling. About the only thing I use it for is to make square blanks round to fit in my Beall when I have a hole to drill deeper than my DP will handle. It's a Oneway Talon chuck and when you open it up those jaws stick out the sides and WILL do some damage.:eek:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader

The only thing I do with the soft jaws and blanks is drill them, so the hands
are nowhere near the jaws anyway. And nowhere near that fast. I drill
s . l . o . w

I think I got them at Woodcraft or Rockler .. one of those places. It's an
add-on accessory for Nova chucks, but I'll bet you could make it work on
something else.. they're made to cut, so as long as you can find a way
to line up the screws you should be able to do something with it.

Top Bottom