Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkc

I haven't made many pens, so I'm looking for suggestions on what wood would be a knock out on a Havana rhodium kit. Something with nice figure.... It's for a business owner that'll have it with him all the time. Good advertising doesn't hurt ;)

And yes, he has big hands, so a Havana will fit well....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

For a contrast with the Rhodium silver color, Zebra wood came to mind. Also African Black Wood that has light streaks in it. Almost anything spalted with black streaks. You can't go wrong with Cocobolo. Avoid Pink Ivory, real Ebony, Snakewood. For a man, Purpleheart would be a poor choice.

GBusardo

Blackwood, that would be my choice. Maybe look for one with a hint of sapwood. You can so a search on Havana's. Go to "advanced search" and search through the SOYP forum for Havanas. Maybe you will see something there

bkc

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be checking all of them out.... the only woods I have on hand right now are zebra and cocobolo.

Fred

Cocobolo cut on a bias is pretty but often difficult to turn without blowing up. That is if the bias cut is steep across the grain. It (bias cut) definitely brings additional beauty of the wood out IMHO of course! [:D]

bkc

I did order 6 havanas, so I can experiment some. I'd 'thought' the pens got here today. I'd ordered ball points, what came were 6 fountain pens.... So I'll be waiting longer to try things out [B)]

bkc

Okay, so my picture taking AND pen making need work. I found this scrap piece of exotic 'dunno' wood in my shop. For some reason the guy was thrilled with the pen....

GaryPen2.jpg

GaryPen1.jpg

drayman

if you want nice burl get it from nolan, its just amazing and cheap, his amboyna is fantastic. regards colin. [:p][:p][:p][:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom