Suggestion for first FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

I recieved my first fountain pen order and was looking for a little input. It is gift for a friends father and I told her I would do it for $40.00. I was thinking of just using a Baron upgrade gold kit from AS. Having never used a FP before I don't know anything about them except what little I've read here. I want the pen to be reliable above all else so is there a better nib,ink pump, refill or whatever I should use with out breaking the bank?

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

I've carried a Baron FP in platinum and absolutely love it. I use the Private Reserve ink and have not had any problems with it leaking or skipping.

Dario

First...I avoid upgrade gold now if at all possible.

$40.00 is a tough budget for an FP but then again you don't want a friends father to get something with plating that will wear off in a few months.

Forget the nib with that budget, you need twice it just to get a better one. You can upgrade the pump for less than $2.00 from AS.

bjackman

Also agree on avoiding upgrade gold. Chrome is a pretty good value. You might also consider one of various flavors of El Grandes. BB has some on sale right now. If the recipient actually writes with his FP a lot he will most likely appreciate the light weight of an EG.

Firefyter-emt

How about the Americana in rhoidum? I rather like the kit and it has a good look. The kit is $16.99, however for about a $1.00 more you can go with the Jr. Gent and have the bushings to make the Jr. Statesman as a bonus.

I have been using my Americana heavily in the field now (4 refills) and the kit has not let me down and once the nib was "broke in" I really like it. If you go with this kit you HAVE to buy the nib adjuster tool, it's just not worth messing around without it. The one thing I really like is the posting and cap design, I am not a big fan of threads and this pen is nice in that design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom