Substitute sizes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbarton22

This may sound like a really terribly noob question, but I'm sort of stuck.

I'm looking for a carbon fiber blank for a Manhattan. It is a 13/32" tube. The closest thing I can find is a 10mm blank (craft supplies). the difference is less than .01" Is there a feasible marriage that I can make here? Since the blank is smaller, is that something I can drill out? or is the carbon fiber probably right at the 10mm mark?

OR

Do we have some folks here that actually make a 13/32" carbon fiber blank?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

+1 on CaptG. The material he uses turns great and polishes up to a very high gloss. Some of the commercially available carbon fibre blanks just don't measure up in finish quality.

mick

Is the tube bigger than the fittings or vice versa? .01 is less than a sheet of paper. If tube is .01 larger then test the fitting because the radius of the tube is only .005. That's a pretty snug fit. Put a drop of loctite on the tube and press in.

If the tube diameter is less than the fitting lightly sand the inside of the tube and if possible sand the part of the fitting that presses in. I've done this with success. Just be very careful if trying his method. It the attempted insertion is at all tight stop before cracking the blank. Hope this Makes sense and helps you with your problem.

walshjp17

Hmmm. Isn't the Manhatten just a variant of the Sierra/Wall Street II/Gatsby? The tubes for these are 27/64 which is just a hair bigger than 13/32 (26/64).

reiddog1

I make lots of 10mm bullet pens. I found that a 10mm pen tube will fit snuggly into a 27/64 tube, so I glue the 10mm tube into some of the specialty cast 27/64 tubes and cut to length on the lathe. Maybe you could figure out something like that. Hope this helps.

Dave

Top Bottom