Stylus tip broke?!?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey everyone,

Has anyone had a problem with the soft stylus tips breaking? I have made one and I think it was less than a year ago and my customer sent it to me because it broke! He does use it all the time, but I just thought it would hold up better. I personally didn't like that it was not a solid it, and I guess it makes sense that it would break. Any thoughts on if it should or shouldn't have broken? The break goes half way around the stylus tip so it is not really useful now. Thanks for the input!

David

P.S. None of the active vendors on this form were involved in this transaction.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

My experience is that stylus tips will wear out and need to be replaced. Several are now threaded to enable easy replacement. I have not heard of one "breaking" - did the actual body of the pen break?

The one I made for my wife has a slit in the bulb but it is still working. I like the new ones that the rubber end is more of a solid piece instead of a bulb.

Dan Masshardt

I've had a couple from the store before making some. None were solid tips. I'm convinced that all will wear out in time. I think it's just a wearable part. When I've sold them I just said that replacement tips are available from me for a few dollars. Nobody has batted an eye at that.

Ink runs out too. :)

Last edited:

greggas

the tips do tend to tear after a year or so of heavy use...that is why I changed all the styluses I sell to the type with screw in tips...that way they can be replaced. I offer to sell replacements at time of sale and also give a card with re-ordering instructions that way clients tend not to look for something for nothing.

Tage

I agree with the above comments. They do tend to tear over time or with a heavy hand. Another problem I've had with the original slimline styli with replaceable tips is the tip falling off and getting lost. I now prefer the replaceable tips that screw in.

I like the Sierra stylus, but had one rip and it does not appear to be replaceable. Anyone have any experience with this?

avbill

The sierra stylus is replaceable. I just bought some yet you need to punch out the tip and replace the hole dare thing. it be better if it were threaded. My customer had the pen for two weeks before it broke!

Mason Kuettel

I agree with the above comments. They do tend to tear over time or with a heavy hand. Another problem I've had with the original slimline styli with replaceable tips is the tip falling off and getting lost. I now prefer the replaceable tips that screw in.

I like the Sierra stylus, but had one rip and it does not appear to be replaceable. Anyone have any experience with this?

Just had a customer whose infant ate the tip off one of these...gotta order a replacement and just switch out the entire top.

Tage

The sierra stylus is replaceable. I just bought some yet you need to punch out the tip and replace the hole dare thing. it be better if it were threaded. My customer had the pen for two weeks before it broke!

I don't think I'll order anymore Sierra styli until the tip is replaceable. Seems a waste to have to knock out the whole clip assembly to replace the stylus tip. I got the ripped stylus off and the screw that holds it. Maybe I'll just do a custom finial on it and it will no longer be a stylus pen.

keithbyrd

The tip is replaceable. Berea has them. But you do have to tap out the stylus insert in the tip and press the new one in. It is not customer replaceable!

Top Bottom