Styles of Pens we Make

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This is going to be a two part question about pen styles but first we need to establish the foundation so the first part of this scenario is to list all the styles of pens we as pen makers create. I am not talking about kits of any kind. This can be helpful in events down the road and to beginners who may ask, and this post can be referenced to. This is style of pens such as.

Segmented pens

Kitless pens

Free style (something creative that does not look like a pen)

Clay pens

Color cast (home made casting ) pens

Clear Cast on tube pens

I will let others add to this list as you can think of them. Thanks for doing this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

You forgot all about the classic wooden pen bodies before you get into muta or trash to treasure hybrid blanks ...

Also, there's all-metal pens ... stone pens ... I think someone out there even did a pen made out of concrete ...

Let's not forget antler/bone and horn pens ...

Should we segretate between the various types of plastics?

Acrylic, polycarbonate, epoxy, superglue (acrylic) ... ect ...

And what about pens that were cast but have something in them? Like crushed seashells or other things, as opposed to solid casting?

Plus ... decals? engraved with LASER or CNC?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
laser cut themed blanks
3d printed resin filled blanks
Diamond infused blanks
or were you thinking more of a generic catagory of the style of pen ?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I am thinking more generic which includes various materials. Here is the list so far.

Wood

Segmented

Kitless

Freestyle

Clay

Color Cast (home made ) casting pens

Cast on tube of any materials

Metals which will include all metals and bullet style pens

Antler, bone, and horn pens

Laser, cnc, pens

Acrylics of all kind not cast by hand or home made

Stone of any kind pen

Any materials such as diamond dust, labels,decals and others will be included in a style of pen. Also any material is used to wrap a tube or cast in clear casting is included in a style. Not what I am looking for. Hope this is starting to look like what I am asking. 3D blanks are segmented blanks.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Mmmm ... stone might deserve it's own slot, as it would cover soapstone, alabaster, marble, granite .... but trustone could be dumped in with the acrylics, as it is an acrylic or epoxy matrix holding the stone dust, so it acts quite differently for the turning process and assembly.

Stone barrels don't have any give whatsoever, so the pen parts need a little finessing to make it work without cracking the barrels.

jttheclockman

Mmmm ... stone might deserve it's own slot, as it would cover soapstone, alabaster, marble, granite .... but trustone could be dumped in with the acrylics, as it is an acrylic or epoxy matrix holding the stone dust, so it acts quite differently for the turning process and assembly.

Stone barrels don't have any give whatsoever, so the pen parts need a little finessing to make it work without cracking the barrels.

Was able to add stone. Yes it is a style in itself just like metals and wood. But a generic catagory so as to not list all stones or metals or woods. :)

jttheclockman

1080Wayne

So , if I make a pen out of welding rod , it goes in the metals , if I make one out of a plastic spoon , it goes freestyle ?, if I make one out of fire pit ash , it goes clay ? , if I make one out of a corncob or a spruce cone (not cast) , it goes organic material ? , if I make one out of cow pie , it goes organic material ?

Just trying to make sure I`m fully covered .

jttheclockman

So , if I make a pen out of welding rod , it goes in the metals , if I make one out of a plastic spoon , it goes freestyle ?, if I make one out of fire pit ash , it goes clay ? , if I make one out of a corncob or a spruce cone (not cast) , it goes organic material ? , if I make one out of cow pie , it goes organic material ?

Just trying to make sure I`m fully covered .

Yes you got the idea:)

Kenny Durrant

The kits I use are the ones I think are popular with the people I deal with or the type of people I think might be interested in the pen I'm building. As far as what I make it with contains several of the materials listed. I enjoy most doing the clear tube in embedding. The wood and resin mix is done mostly for other people at their request. I get the most reward when I can make a pen for a person that has a special meaning for them.

firewhatfire

Corian is fresh on my mind as I just finished an order for 27 of them.

Stabilized vs Non Stabilized material

Bob in SF makes them out of everything no one else ever thinks of, amazing stuff

Leather

jttheclockman

OK we need to update the list. Some good ones have been added.

Wood

Segmented

Freestyle (something that does not look like a pen)

Kitless

CNC, Laser

Color cast (home made cast) pens

Cast on tubes of any material (tapes,wire, steampunk, label, decals)

Clay

Stone (corian could be stone or acrylic)

Metals of any kind including Bullet pens

Rubber (Ebonite) and others

Leather

Thread wrapping of tubes

Antler, bone, horn

Acrylics of any kind not home made

Hand Painted pen tubes (designs and scenes)

Any materials such as diamond dust, labels,decals and others will be included in a style of pen. Also any material is used to wrap a tube or cast in clear casting is included in a style. Not what I am looking for. Hope this is starting to look like what I am asking. 3D blanks are segmented blanks.

Last edited:

corgicoupe

I have seen several made from pine cones. But they have to be large pine cones, and they were turned from the central core of the cone.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Composite Style of Pens

We have a list of the basic pen styles we as pen turners have made over the years. If any others can add to the list that would be great. Now there are various materials used that fall within these styles.

My next question is with all these materials used how many people can say they made a composite style of pen?? To me this is a style of pen that stands its own category. Maybe segmented with a solid cap, a segmented with a steampunk cap, an acrylic with metal cap, a segmented cap and solid body and so forth. Obviously this requires a two part pen kit (cap and body)

If you want to include a photo go ahead.:)

Skie_M

I have made segmented body with solid cap before ... actually on 2 different occasions.

Segmented body was a herringbone chevron style in 2 different shades of Eastern Redwood Cedar for contrast, cap was solid North Texas Mesquite.
attachment.php

My sister ordered a pen from me as a gift to her friend ... the friend favored purple and white and gold colors, and also liked things of religious symbology. Body of pen was purple/white/gold acrylic, had a blow-out on the cap and lost half the material (possibly had a bubble or two in the mix or a poor glue-up). Spoke with my sister about what to do, didn't have another acrylic blank ... found out about the religious angle and asked if she would like some Bethlehem Olivewood in there ... and the answer was yes. The cap ended up being acrylic on both ends, with Bethlehem Olivewood in the center.
attachment.php

And ... not sure where it would really go, but I've made pens with alternative means and materials before. This is "just" a slimline pen made of solid brass. 102 brass washers, to be exact. They are not even glued to the brass barrel, just press fit on, and given a coat of CA and left with a "brushed" style finish at the end to prevent corrosion.
attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG0168.jpg
    CIMG0168.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 284
  • pen5.jpg
    pen5.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 547
  • Brass.jpg
    Brass.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 303
Top Bottom